Trainee arborist Westonbirt.

Graham

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think we need to remember we are just tree cutters, although we have amazing kit and all the new climbing techniques. there are still guys out there that stick ladders against trees in wellies and get the job done, i am not condoning them but its fact.

how mant tree surgeons were there in the country 10 years ago compared to now.

in the last 5 years you could demand whatever you wanted in this game, but times have changed. its not just us its all the trades, i met a guy who chucked his climbing job. he was full time in charge of a squad. 28 and was taking home 400 a week.

he got a job driving a 360 on a site. he was taking home 800 a week before over time.

and had never sat in a machine in his life.

guess who isnt working now.

i think we need to remember we are just tree cutters, although we have amazing kit and all the new climbing techniques. there are still guys out there that stick ladders against trees in wellies and get the job done, i am not condoning them but its fact.

how mant tree surgeons were there in the country 10 years ago compared to now..

i challenge any guy with wellies and a ladder and infact many so called "tree surgeons" to do the tree i did today without harming themselfs or damageing anything.1 dead norway maple 3 phonelines, 1 power line, 3 sheds a fence line a hedge and a drop zone the size of a mini.

i provide a professional service as im sure the majority of arbtalkers do and charge accordingly

i challenge any guy with wellies and a ladder and infact many so called "tree surgeons" to do the tree i did today without harming themselfs or damageing anything.1 dead norway maple 3 phonelines, 1 power line, 3 sheds a fence line a hedge and a drop zone the size of a mini.

i provide a professional service as im sure the majority of arbtalkers do and charge accordingly

thats fine and good on you, but what are you going to do if folk wont pay the money. will you reduce your rates? i have.

i am on your side here, i think that what we do is amazing.:001_smile:

Westonbirt were recruiting for the same post last year - I wonder if the last trainee jacked it in or if they are just taking on another.

Someone I know applied last year but didn't get it - he was told that there would be no climbing for at least a year as for the first 12 months it would be nursery practices and watching the experienced climbers. That put him off - as well as the poor money but he is in his 30s.

I think this would be great for a young newbie to the industry though.

Thanks for the replies. I will explain my reasons for wanting the job. I am currently running my own garden maintenance business which is nearly 2.5 yrs old. The first year was good with a good wage but as soon as the crunch hit i have strugled to pay my mortgage. I have had a few quiet months which is natural as it was the same last year. I need to get the regular money in other wise i will lose my house, followed by partner. I dont mind taking a pay cut to learn new skills and it does have good pension and holliday etc. I live in Nailsworth so about 3 miles down the road. Does anyone have any idea of wage after the initial one year training is over. Cheers Rob