Tips for Silky use

jaime bray

Dear All,

With the continued pictures of accidents from the use of handheld pruning saws, and a few mentions of it within the AWG meetings we hold, I thought it maybe of benefit for us all to share our experiences with these saws, and also enable us to highlight how those experiences have caused us to alter how we; position ourselves; position our hands; hold the saw; consider what diameter of wood we cut through; use a strap or cord to attach it to your harness so it can be dropped at will; whether we use them at all; general tips that we can give to others that may give food for thought to the industry.

I used to use silkys with a considerable amount of 'whatever trevor' attitude towards them, until i had a bit of a nick that pulsed for some time.

They are nasty bits of kit to use, and should not be used without respect and the same planning as you would apply to a chainsaw.

Please add your tips and experience influenced advice as you see fit too. I shall use this thread to direct and asssit the AA's AWG with the production of the guidance note that will be held on the AA's website under 'Help for Arborists'

Thanks

Jaime

Edited by jaime bray

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your Silky saw cuts on the "Pull" stroke only...Frantic Carving away at a branch will only end in tears. As with a chainsaw,cutting from one side only can eventually trap the saw and forcing the saw through the last flap of cambium again can cause the saw to exit at an unexpected angle and cause injury. Holding wood near to the saw blade as you cut is where you see most injuries. if your silky catches even the smallest bit of twig or frith it can jump (Silky Kickback!)

Your Silky saw cuts on the "Pull" stroke only...Frantic Carving away at a branch will only end in tears. As with a chainsaw,cutting from one side only can eventually trap the saw and forcing the saw through the last flap of cambium again can cause the saw to exit at an unexpected angle and cause injury. Holding wood near to the saw blade as you cut is where you see most injuries. if your silky catches even the smallest bit of twig or frith it can jump (Silky Kickback!)

Its as if there should be a maximum diameter of timber that saw blades should be able to cut through.

When ever I used to use my foldable saw on bigger branches the propensity to slide my hand further towards the blade was increased.

How often do you think it is the saw holding hand that is injured/cut?

Or, is it the branch holding hand/arm thats comes into contact with the pruning saw more so?

Thanks for your advice.

A silky can cut any size Diameter branch you are prepared to put the elbow grease into...I have felled trees twice the length of the blade and re-pollarded london planes entirely with a silky with lots and lots of telephone wires running through the crown..it,s as sharp as a chainsaw its just that the engine is your arm...with a Silky in my hand i have a 044 arm:001_rolleyes: if you cut your handle arm or hand with a silky then you,re doing something very wrong!

Ensure scabbard is free of debris and in good condition

On older zubats the blade cuts through the scabbard overtime, full of debris the saw can get jammed in the scabbard, you naturally want to hold it where the cut plastic of the scabbard is, and when trying to pull them appart this can make a sudden nasty injury

Keep your head. The last time I got a nasty silky bite I was hacking at some Russian vine which had swamped the middle of a Cyprus. Stupid, I know as I had my secateurs on my belt too! The problem was I was getting angry. Taught me a lesson, that's for sure.

After I finish a cut and am moving the saw back to scabbard I twist the saw

180 degrees so the teeth are facing opposite direction of travel. Especially useful if it's got to pass your climbing line.

Someone's said it already but it's when you're finishing a cut that the saw becomes a little unpredictable.

A silky can cut any size Diameter branch you are prepared to put the elbow grease into...I have felled trees twice the length of the blade and re-pollarded london planes entirely with a silky with lots and lots of telephone wires running through the crown..it,s as sharp as a chainsaw its just that the engine is your arm...with a Silky in my hand i have a 044 arm:001_rolleyes: if you cut your handle arm or hand with a silky then you,re doing something very wrong!

It was more so for when your pushing the saw back to the start position to begin another pull, and the saw bites on the tree. When your hands wet from sweat or rain, it sometimes slides down and you get that lovely feeling as it goes through your skin.

I wouldn't know about that...when my silky moves forward through the kerf i use the lightest of touches almost like i am playing a violin:rolleyes: then hit the Nitros and drag it back...use a Silky like an extension of your arm...Combine it with a Sawpod and it becomes a part of your body...A silky is a unique cutting device in that it is highly recommended that you use it ONE HANDED! cut well away from any other part of your anatomy.... Also wash it in warm water and i also clean out the teeth...a clean Silky is a happy Silky:D