need qualification to buy a top handle

TreePuncher

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To my knowledge the HSE can stop work with a climbing saw if the operator is not qualified (or suitably supervised)

Surely for those who complain about unqualified competition this is a good thing?

I think this actually applies to all saws used in work, on the ground or up a tree.... just the same as they can stop someone driving a telehandler on a building site if he doesn't have the right ticket....

The argument that training does not neccessarily make a good operator is very true, but there is little doubt it helps.

Take an operator with 5yrs experience and no training, now take the same guy with 5yrs experience after the proper training, .....which will be the best?

I am sure there are many very good operators with years of experience and no formal training who are amongst the best in your business, but..... there are plenty more who think that just because they have experience they are good. These people talk the talk, but cant walk the walk yet they sound very plausible and would easily convince a salesman that they would be safe with a top handle.

Many self tought would say " I am self tought, I made a few mistakes along the way, but learnt from them"

My character, Lefty, who you met a few posts ago proudly says this. He has made 3 mistakes so far but I doubt he has really learnt.

The argument that training does not neccessarily make a good operator is very true, but there is little doubt it helps.

Take an operator with 5yrs experience and no training, now take the same guy with 5yrs experience after the proper training, .....which will be the best?

I am sure there are many very good operators with years of experience and no formal training who are amongst the best in your business, but..... there are plenty more who think that just because they have experience they are good. These people talk the talk, but cant walk the walk yet they sound very plausible and would easily convince a salesman that they would be safe with a top handle.

Many self tought would say " I am self tought, I made a few mistakes along the way, but learnt from them"

My character, Lefty, who you met a few posts ago proudly says this. He has made 3 mistakes so far but I doubt he has really learnt.

While this may be true, there are far more who have had training and managed to pass the assessment for minimum competence who think they are the dogs do-dars, but in reality are of little if any commercial use and often dangerous.

Your supposed to have cs 39 to buy a top handed saw as it is only to be used in the tree. not on the ground, so joe public should not need it.

i have never been asked tho

To the best of my knowledge all you should really need to get one is cs30/31. I only say this as for me to do cs39 I have to supply my own top handle saw which means that I have to be able to purchase one before I actually get cs39. As you need cs30,31 and 38 to do cs39 and cs38 has nothing to do with a saw the only qualification needed should be cs3/31, I could be completely wrong here but this is the way I see it.

To the best of my knowledge all you should really need to get one is cs30/31. I only say this as for me to do cs39 I have to supply my own top handle saw which means that I have to be able to purchase one before I actually get cs39. As you need cs30,31 and 38 to do cs39 and cs38 has nothing to do with a saw the only qualification needed should be cs3/31, I could be completely wrong here but this is the way I see it.

cs39 has got nothing to do with using a top handle saw either :confused1: at least it wasnt when i did it a few years back right enough . Having to purchase one to do this course is nonsense .

Lets just tell all our clients that we are arborists, without any written evidence whatsoever to back it up . What makes us any different then to the section of community everyone has a dig at ? To me arguing that you can be much more skilled with no qualifications at all , although very true just aint gonna wash anymore with a more informed public / customer :001_smile:

Fair enough, it does state that it can be done with either a top or rear handled saw with maximum guide bar length of 15" however where I will do mine it states that I am to supply my own saw and in all fairness, how often would you climb with a rear handle saw? Although I'm sure it's doable, it's going to be much easier with a top handle. Also with all that being the case, surely if anything you should just have to have cs30/31 to purchase one? Unless there is a specific course for top handle saws?

Fair enough, it does state that it can be done with either a top or rear handled saw with maximum guide bar length of 15" however where I will do mine it states that I am to supply my own saw and in all fairness, how often would you climb with a rear handle saw? Although I'm sure it's doable, it's going to be much easier with a top handle. Also with all that being the case, surely if anything you should just have to have cs30/31 to purchase one? Unless there is a specific course for top handle saws?

Coletti it was only the very privileged that had top handles at one time !! Took some brilliant climbers many years to get one !! Its more than do-able :001_smile