need qualification to buy a top handle

TreePuncher

Its not just a Stihl thing, most manufacturers of toppers now state that they are only to be sold to trained operators, but to my knowledge none actually state what qualification is needed.

A reputable dealer should therefore ask to see a purchasers qualifications, relevant to use of a topper up a tree, which I personally take to be CS38/39.

I dont believe that it is a legal requirement, the salesman wont be arrested for it, but as it has now become common practice it would be unwise for a dealer not to follow suit. In these days of litigation, if an accident were to happen and the dealer was found to have sold a topper to an untrained operator, that dealer could face some rather unpleasant consequences at the hands of the litigation lawyer.

I always ask for the card and photo copy it. a copy is then attached to the sales invoice in our file, so we have nicely covered the proverbial backside.

I have never had any objections from bona fide trained operators, only from untrained, cheapjack operators.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it, you can go on eBay and buy a top handle saw without any proof of qualification, even a 2nd hand Stihl. The "undesirables" are not going to worry about buying a new top handle when they can get one for nowt, and therefore they don't need tickets either. So the only ones who really worry about are the students, the instructors and some dealers. Im not 100% on this, but I believe an unqualified employer can buy his staff saws without having the quals himself.[/QUO

your right, even with strict regulations, there are too many loop holes for people to use.

thanks

I purchase all my kit in the uk, but as a french resident and there being no ticket system here would i be eligable to purchase? I only ask as i have never been asked to provide cs tickets or even if i know what end of the saw does the cutting! the end with the trigger and control switch yeah? What if you send someone to pick it up for you?

if an accident were to happen and the dealer was found to have sold a topper to an untrained operator, that dealer could face some rather unpleasant consequences at the hands of the litigation lawyer.

I can't really see that sticking.

Do car sales men ask to see your drivers license?????

Thats a Stihl policy

The top handled saw thing came about because the HSE weren’t happy about accidents on the ground with top handled saws, they made noises in the industry and the result was an agreement between the manufacturers that they would (through their dealers) insist on seeing a qualification to use the top handled saw.

Why in gods name would anyone want to use a top handle saw on the ground, two is always better surely. Any pros use top handers on the ground? And if so why?