Does anyone drive a VW Transporter

splinters

Im planning to buy a vw transporter to replace my landrover.

i want a Kombi so i can fit the kids in the back and my saws and carvings in the very back. but what i dont know is weather to get a SWB or a LWB . any body know what the internal length of either is. idealy what is the length from the back edge of the sliding door to the back doors. i cant find it any where on the interweb so as usual when all else fails consult the arbtalk encyclopedie.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Splinters

My son has one to carry his surf boards and camp in, he loves it and has no complaints.

One thing to look for is a single open up door to shelter the back (didnt explain that very well but you know what I mean)

Much better than two doors opening, he also has a side door which is handy for loading.

Look around, plenty of good ones but if you want to know more I can ask him.

VW hold their money but you wont get the same drive on slippery stuff as you would in a Landy

Get diesel

Good luck

I've had plenty of Vw's, the best is definately the T4 not sure of the internals but having had all off them I would go LWB all day long as the SWB doesnt give you much scope!

Have you thought about the crewcab? it gives even more scope and the cab can be kept saw dust free(ish) they are abit rare but they are out there!

Mine is crewcab with aluminum tipper bought it earlier this year W reg with only 42000 miles, one owner and full service history for just £2250 only downside it has a petrol engine, 2.5 Audi 5 cylinder so will go on forever! I might get round to converting it to LPG one day.

Had the t4 for work,four wheel drive version no complaints they upgraded to the t5 three years ago and this year alone it has been off the road for ten weeks with clutch problems, the diff lock not disengageing electrical burning coming from dash, the rear springs came off the axle mounts. So my experience with the t5 has not been good but would have a t4 any day

Yep I've got a 2.5tdi T4 SWB, I look after half a dozen for people,I'l try to have measure in the morning.the LWB Is roughly 12" longer but the wheel base is also longer. There are a few 4wd versions about but not good on fuel. If you get a 2.5tdi get the timing belts and water pump done regardless of service history (biggest week point) clutches do 110k. Good van though had mine 5years very happy with it.