Poisoned trees

Taupotreeman

Turned up on site today to check on the Gums and a couple of Pines that were looking sick and wadaya know. Theres a fella complete with funnel in drill hole pouring a mixture of tordon and roundup into it. My offsider chased him around the streets while i called the police. Charges are now being pressed. Result. :thumbup:

Good man!

But why roundup :/? It's glyphosate, surely has to have contact with foliage to take affect??

Have herd of people using sodium chloride to kill trees before.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope someone stays on top of the prosecution and makes an example of the poisoner. did they confiscate his arsenal of poison? re legal action, along with tree killing is there perhaps some crime of intentional polution that could get tacked on? What else might that poison affect?

That said, does council have a policy to address the effects of trees on adjacent properties?

Here's a case from N Queensland; same drill and kill for view thing. page 22

2011 February Arborist News.pdf

First author recently moved to NZ, coincidentally.

We've signed the statements but its pretty low down the priority list for the police. They didn't confiscate his poison, only the bottle he'd been using when we caught him. There was still gallons in his shed. As far as a policy for trees on adjacent properties; you might need to clarify a little more. These trees have been here longer than the bulk of the township itself. Most likely from when the whole area was farmland. What's annoying is that the houses from which the views are blocked are at most, two years old.

This guy had all sorts of stuff in his shed. 20 litre drums of ag strength glyphosate, tordon, granular stuff. He was a farmer first before retiring and then carrying on as a grounds maintenance guy. Most of the people in the new builds seem to be farmers or ex farmers so they all know how to deal to unwanted trees.

A good contender for an idiots guide to tree killing. Only takes 10 years.

I was called to look at an oak tree last year that had 2 large cavities of dead wood fairly square shaped. Upon closer inspection the bark was dead on the 3rd side and pulled off to reveal another square shaped cavity. Due to the trees' location i did relevant app to fell as tpo'd

When we were on site one of the elderly neighbours came over and said "you never guess what happened to that tree, the previous owner, ten years earlier, an electronics type guy rewired the timer on his microwave and strapped it onto the three sides accessible from his property for at least a week each maybe 2.

This guy had all sorts of stuff in his shed. 20 litre drums of ag strength glyphosate, tordon, granular stuff. He was a farmer first before retiring and then carrying on as a grounds maintenance guy. Most of the people in the new builds seem to be farmers or ex farmers so they all know how to deal to unwanted trees.

If he's no longer farming shouldn't he have a licence for that amount/sort of stuff? :sneaky2:

pssst it's a decoy post.

salt is not new, and glyphosate needs no foliage contact.

but don't tell that to the poisoners who lurk here for ideas.

sssshhhhh

Glyphosate's mode of action is to inhibit an enzyme involved in the synthesis of the aromatic amino acids: tyrosine, tryptophan and phenylalanine. It is absorbed through foliage and translocated to growing points.

Backs up my understanding of glyphosate :/ ?

And as for handing information that could fall into the wrong hands.....

Weed killer or Concentrated salt can be used to kill a tree....... Yeah would need to be a genius to work that out!

Edited by Quercus-90

Glyphosate's mode of action is to inhibit an enzyme involved in the synthesis of the aromatic amino acids: tyrosine, tryptophan and phenylalanine. It is absorbed through foliage and translocated to growing points.

well i've been using 50% strength on stumps and it works, so maybe it can also be absorbed in phloem and translocated to roots.

and it was suspected in the araucaria in queensland

but i am no chemist.