Poisoned trees

Taupotreeman

Originally the guy reckoned he'd used 100% Roundup with a dye marker but during my colleague's discussions with him he reckoned the best way to make sure a tree was going to be stone cold dead was to mix round up with a bit of Tordon.

While he took off around the streets I had a look around the back of the house and it was like a chemical factory there. For saying the house is on a small section there was enough stuff to control a small farm. 2x20 litre drums of ag strength Roundup, Versatil and a heap of other stuff including granular poison.

Plan of action now is to hopefully press charges. The poisoner thought it was a slap on the wrist with a wet bus ticket offence until the copper started to tell him the costs involved. The guy reckoned he couldn't afford the fines and he'd have to be bankrupted. The copper told him that if that's what the judge deemed would happen then that's what would happen. Or, they could come after his wife for the money as the house, cars etc were all in her name. I don't really care. He's old enought to know right from wrong so I hope they sling the book at him.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old diesel and tordon trick, the dream poison of many a redneck. We had that down in queenstown last year fortunately the sugar water saved it. A colleague told me it works on stumps not so well on whole trees, with the amount of water a gum can suck especially that size you have a good chance of battling it id say. Wtf are people up to up there man?? Havent seen that amount of hate on trees since i lived in rotovegas

Interesting though bad case here, the earlier posts of Ty and TTM are spot on.

More seriously, a bit like France, trees are 2 a penny.

With so many of them around no-one really values them.

I often see ancient hedgerow oaks felled to make way for a new build or because the acorns need sweeping up once a year...

My perception from 6 months spent traveling and working is that N.Z creates a myth that it is a caring ecological place.

Its already felled most viable native forests and replanted with radiata.

The people drive cars with big engines, D.O.C drop poison pellets by aircraft over entire valleys to kill invasive species (also kills and poisons everything else)

Intensive dairy production causing high nitrates from fertiliser and slurry and all those bloody tourists flying in and driving around too boot!

Ty

Ty, I hate to agree with you as NZ is a beautiful country but on most points you are correct. Our clean green and pure claim is, on many levels, complete BS. I think our saving grace is population or lack there of.

And yet they resist europeans moving in to the country, who often have a broader view and appreciate what NZ has to offer. I suprise folk when I tell'em NZ is not the paradise you see in the media. The animalistic behaviour such as this threads idiots. Is centuries out of date. So primitive they dont even hide the evidence, just drill where is easiest. I hope this comes out with good results.

TTman have you thought of writing memoirs "Idiots versus Trees" or something like that? I have read old life stories of woodmen, doctors etc. 50yrs later you cant believe how things were.

I hope someone stays on top of the prosecution and makes an example of the poisoner. did they confiscate his arsenal of poison? re legal action, along with tree killing is there perhaps some crime of intentional polution that could get tacked on? What else might that poison affect?

That said, does council have a policy to address the effects of trees on adjacent properties?

Here's a case from N Queensland; same drill and kill for view thing. page 22

2011 February Arborist News.pdf

First author recently moved to NZ, coincidentally.