Driven trailers advice please

A Townsend

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Thanks for the advice there. I will have a look into the various units and see what seems reasonable. In the meantime if anyone knows anymore about the pro's and cons of the cage drive compared to hydraulic it'd be great to know. P.s its been on the cards for a while stu but i must admit getting stuck does highlight the need!

Cheers again,

Andrew

With hydraulic motors will warm your hydraulic quicker i'd also imagine that they're more torquey. I guess the amount of power the drive provides will be dependant on if you run them off the tractor spools or from a pto pump.

As a point on interest the biggest 15 tonne moheda trailers don't have legs as standard. All done picking stuff up by steering the drawbar to the off crane side. scary but it does work.

If getting stuck is the issue could a set of band tracks for the trailer and chains for the tractor provide the extra traction required without a new trailer?

Hi,

Thanks for the advice there. I will have a look into the various units and see what seems reasonable. In the meantime if anyone knows anymore about the pro's and cons of the cage drive compared to hydraulic it'd be great to know. P.s its been on the cards for a while stu but i must admit getting stuck does highlight the need!

Cheers again,

Andrew

I've never used either, but, I'd envisage wheel motors wearing quicker as they are turning all the time the wheels are turning, whereas cages are only turning when they are dropped into position.

One thing with cages though, is whether they would wear the tyres quicker where they press onto the middle of the tyre? Also, will they still grip the tyres OK when working hard once the tyres wear a bit?

The big driven Farma ooks quite smart.

As a point on interest the biggest 15 tonne moheda trailers don't have legs as standard. All done picking stuff up by steering the drawbar to the off crane side. scary but it does work.

Bet it's a bit arse twitchy - even with legs some of the older trailers aren't great on bigger stuff tl there's a stick or two on board. Never used a steering drawbar as yet but really think our tiny Weimer could do with one.

Bet it's a bit arse twitchy - even with legs some of the older trailers aren't great on bigger stuff tl there's a stick or two on board. Never used a steering drawbar as yet but really think our tiny Weimer could do with one.

You know it's not that bad once you know. The Botex trailer empty without the legs just on a crooked drawbar however is very scary

On steering drawbars once you've used one you'll never go back. Just to be able to reverse the tractor straight and steer the trailer is worth it alone. you can fir around some really tight corners too. Oh and use the crane quite close in without the legs is very useful. Also nice to be able to shove it side to side to see around the king post.

You know it's not that bad once you know. The Botex trailer empty without the legs just on a crooked drawbar however is very scary

On steering drawbars once you've used one you'll never go back. Just to be able to reverse the tractor straight and steer the trailer is worth it alone. you can fir around some really tight corners too. Oh and use the crane quite close in without the legs is very useful. Also nice to be able to shove it side to side to see around the king post.

I currently run a botex with s drawbar and its an awesome bit of kit. What it lacks in speed it makes up for in lift capacity. Just finishing off a county roof mount and figure that i may as well put a driven trailer on from the off then i'll be best placed for the wet stuff and will have given myself as much of a helping hand for traction without chains.

Cheers,

Andrew

Fit youre boughton to the front the county if you do get stuck winch yourself out, for the amount of times you get stuck is it worth buying a new trailer...... plus you county will have more traction than your other machines

I run a new Farma 14 tonne drive trailer with 8.5m G2 crane, it was on our stand at the APF show this year. Ive done about 5000 tonne this year and it works very well. The drive engages perfectly into the tyres for when you require it and can come out when you don't. Been pulling fully loaded artics up a 1 in 3.5 bank out of the wood and the drive was essential. Cage drive is cheaper to produce that direct boggie drive, but beware some cage drives only press against the tyres and this will soon wear them out. Better to have the pressure releif valve work to save on breakages.

if you want to come down to Shropshire to see one working i am on a spruce clkearfell and ithe trailer crane unit are following my 901-II valmet harvester.

We can supply just the trailer if you want a new one or a complete unit with either the 7m or 8.5m crane.

have a look at the http://www.hjmeforestry.co.uk website for details

nathan