What place does a petzl GriGri have in a climbing kit

Arran Turner

I tried it in a RADS srt system and although i hate the rads the gri gri was ok . The little plastic handle you pull down to descend took too much force to release under tension ( which is quite considerable in srt) imo . Should be able to feed it much smoother . The gri gri remains sprung open under load which is not good for treework situations and therefor i believe the more expensive Rig or I'd is better ( some of the climber dudes on here would be better explaining this )

I much prefer a simple fig8 but will keep the gri gri for aerial rescue . ( Base anchor as already been mentioned )

There was a guy on here David Goss who swore by them when chogging down stems so each to there own and all that . :001_smile:

Edited by born2trot

The gri gri remains sprung open under load which is not good for treework situations and therefor i believe the more expensive Rig or I'd is better ( some of the climber dudes on here would be better explaining this )

I much prefer a simple fig8 but will keep the gri gri for aerial rescue . as already been mentioned )

QUOTE]

YEs it does remain open although there is a way to lock it under load. the technique is similar to that of the petzl stop. involves taking a loop from the free end of the rope through the connecting carabiner and wedged around the grigri. not something to try with out seeing it done tho imo although i think it may be on the petzl website?

jc

Hi All,

I have a GriGri that use on rock and trees!

great belay device on rock, works just as well as a grillon on a lanyard. If not better! bcos a GriGri slides open so you can insert the rope/line then is secured by the biner. but a grillon i think is fixed to the line? and you need a screwdriver to open it.

thats the one use Petzl now specifically say it shouldnt be used for bro. it must always be attached to the operator.

Fair play man, Im not exactly up to date on that sort of stuff anymore now Im actually working most of the time. Wasnt sure thats why I said with a backup.:confused1: Cheers for the warning, I only have an 8 and a hitch to play with for that scenario anyway.:001_rolleyes:

I havent used the grigri, but the grigri 2 is no good as a lanyard adjuster, as its made for lead climbing the cam is held open by a spring, meaning is dosnt lock until it takes a considerable load, so in a lanyard configuration it opens if you release the tension, as opposed to the cinch which is not used for lead climbing, only top roping, meaning it stays closed on the rope if tension is released.