Chainsaw refresher course, who should foot the bill?

mikecotterill

3 days is the only p##s take here - if you're self employed then you are effectively a business and as a result you need to cover the costs required to deliver your product (your labour) to your customer. If the product you are supplying doesn't meet their requirements (ie you haven't had the refresher training that they insist upon) then they can easily take their business elsewhere.

Where this is all wrong

(and the blame for this has to lie at the door of the training/assessment providers)

is that you have to take a 3 DAYcourse to prove that you are capable of performing your daily tasks. Surely this can/should/must be streamlined somehow. If an assessor comes out for a day, and he knows the job (which to be honest may not be a given) he should be able to determine if you are safe and competent or not within that day. If he isn't happy, he could by all means insist upon some further training; otherwise sign the candidate off as competent and away everybody goes to earn some dosh.

I've given it too much bold and don't know how to turn it off, please don't judge me.

I wont judge you for the bold but that statement needs clearing up.

Do you belive the problem lies with the training providers? Are they the ones recomending a periodical refresher, what possible powers would they have to enforce that?

In actual fact the periodical refresher training is recomeded by the HSE and that carries a bit of gravitas.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with refresher training, my gripe is with the amount of time the op is being forced to spend doing it. Surely a basic assessment by a competent person would quickly determine how much was necessary. Every training course I've ever been on wastes massive amounts of time on site inductions (fire drills/exits), comfort breaks, tea breaks, lunch breaks, and then finish early to avoid the traffic etc. When a working man has to lose 3 days pay to pay lip service to a training provider to tick a hse box I think there is something wrong. So my answer to your question is yes, I believe the problem lies with the training providers as they are promoting their over the top courses to companies who subsequently insist upon them to tick the hse box. The process is cumbersome and in need of sensible streamlining imo.

I don't have a problem with refresher training, my gripe is with the amount of time the op is being forced to spend doing it. Surely a basic assessment by a competent person would quickly determine how much was necessary. Every training course I've ever been on wastes massive amounts of time on site inductions (fire drills/exits), comfort breaks, tea breaks, lunch breaks, and then finish early to avoid the traffic etc. When a working man has to lose 3 days pay to pay lip service to a training provider to tick a hse box I think there is something wrong. So my answer to your question is yes, I believe the problem lies with the training providers as they are promoting their over the top courses to companies who subsequently insist upon them to tick the hse box. The process is cumbersome and in need of sensible streamlining imo.

Nothing to do with the AA and HSE runing courses for anyone who will listen on how to hire a contractor with all aspects of training then.

As I said, my problem isn't with the refresher training itself. It's the amount of time the training takes that is wrong in many cases (i have no doubt that some operatives need more refreshing than others - I don't agree with painting all with the same brush). Evidence of ongoing training/assessment is obviously highly important for an employer - the problem is that it is a one size fits all process that is way too cumbersome and has undoubtably been driven by the training providers as their (profitable) answer to the inevitable hse question.

Isit law that says you have to do re-fresher training every 5 years?

What a load of Sh* - complete and utter nonsense if you are handling a saw on a regular basis. Just a money spinner for the training companies/instructors and NPTC

As above S/e pay for yourself, unfortunately

Employed, employer pays course and wages.

So you don't instruct First aid refresher training then,

You wont need it if people do their chainsaw refresher training, :001_tt2:

now turn it round the other way, The boss has 3 people who need to go on the course Each person £250 plus. Soon to add up plus they will ask for the days pay and fuel to get there too so even more costs. who on here would fork out that amount just to put some guys in for the test. If they wanner stay with the company or in the job they should pay for it them self's its there lively hood. Now if the boss has a fantastic relationship with the person then pay half, If not the person could get the training show the finger. If you a employee its want want want. If you the boss you don't wanner have to spend money that you don't need to This needs to be seen from both views.

If you self employed your paying for it your self end of.

On the self employed front, can you not do an additional module that incorporates saw use and that should suffice as refresher training? You have to pay, so might as well get something out of it.

For example if you haven't done cs41 as a climber then it incorporates all the other climbing and aerial cutting aspects. Plus you get to charge more on your day rate.

I could understand it if we all had to go on a climber refresher, I think that should be compulsory, aerial rescue etc. But having to redo 30/31 is just a pointless exercise. I mean how far is it going to go? Are we going to waste half a day teaching us how to sharpen again!

On the self employed front, can you not do an additional module that incorporates saw use and that should suffice as refresher training? You have to pay, so might as well get something out of it.

For example if you haven't done cs41 as a climber then it incorporates all the other climbing and aerial cutting aspects. Plus you get to charge more on your day rate.

Ill look into that but knowing this company probably not!