LOLER...essential or not???

The Tree Hunter

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I believe that unless a person posseses intermate knowledge of the type of stresses placed on equipment by time and misuse coupled with a keen understanding of cycles to failure, then LOLER most definately has it's place in our industry.

Many on here may very well have this knowledge and as either self employed or employer, only they can make the call.

I'd advise any one to put themselves through the LOLER inspection course whether you end up being an inspector or not.

The insight into gear and it's designed purpose is invaluable imo.

It depends on what you mean by “essential” Your kit will still work without one (probably).

If you don’t have one you are in breach of UK law so it IS essential to prevent the HSE prosecuting you under statute law.

The regulations make it mandatory for all companies no matter what size to have any lifting equipment thoroughly examined at suitable intervals by a competent person In the UK, breaches of LOLER can result in fines of up to £5,000. Unlimited fines can be imposed for serious cases judged by Crown Court.

Andy

At the end of the day, its my life that is at risk, I will decide wether or not I think it is safe. If it pass's my 6 month Loler but I think it's unsafe to climb on/use, I won't be using it ever again.

BTW I don't get my gear inspected every 6 months. As far as I am concerned I dertermine wether it's safe, not you, not Loler, not even my mum.

Am I right in thinking that as well as professional checks every six months you must examine youre kit weekly and sign to say you have done so ? Thats what I was taught.

Hello mate, I had mine done last month and the latest it that the inspections have to be ‘regular’. I always did mine weekly however I was told that may not be necessary (once every two weeks would be acceptable)

So its climbing kit ‘regularly’ inspected by yourself .

Climbing kit LOLER’d every 6 months

Rigging Kit every 12 months.

At the end of the day, its my life that is at risk, I will decide wether or not I think it is safe. If it pass's my 6 month Loler but I think it's unsafe to climb on/use, I won't be using it ever again.

BTW I don't get my gear inspected every 6 months. As far as I am concerned I dertermine wether it's safe, not you, not Loler, not even my mum.

No one is saying you can’t decide what to use or discard. You are free to chuck whatever you want away.

You are however taking a pretty narrow view of the regulations which affect all industries, Europe wide not just ours. We are but a tiny proportion of what LOLER encompasses.

You also need to remember that it’s not just climbing kit involved. Lowering kit, mewps, cranes……..all of which put others at risk so you cant justify

“At the end of the day, its my life that is at risk,”

I am guessing you are self employed? So as a climber you aren’t going to use kit that will get you killed but what about the wage slave on a scaffold that gets handed a damaged lanyard or the crane operator lifting with damaged slings. Bigger picture needed.

LOLER or not entirely up to you and court or not is entirely up to the HSE

Andy

Am I right in thinking that as well as professional checks every six months you must examine youre kit weekly and sign to say you have done so ? Thats what I was taught.

You should do a pre use inspection which amounts to a daily check for the commonly used items.

You should also check your kit on a weekly basis and record your findings. Those not getting external inspections should be doing this as a minimum. It’s only part compliance but might just keep you out of court.

I do LOLER inspections for arboriculture as well as other industries and I have to say I don’t hear the rope access guys or anyone else whinging about inspections. Why is it that (some) arborists have this entrenched attitude about their kit?

Andy

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ais30.pdf