I-dent on Beech please

num83r13

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure looks like kretzschmaria deusta to me. Bear in mingd by the time the black stuff has appeared at the surface the fungus may already have hollowed the tree out form the inside. You see whole beech trees just snap at the base due to this stuff. If you've got a riddled leaner that close to the road you would need to have a very good reason not to fell it within a couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Good old fashioned ustulina sorry I cant spell kretzscmaria That is scary it looks pretty advanced the phrase "catastrophic tree failure " spring to mind , I would get it down as dead or dangerous pretty sharpish if in a roadside position . Ive had a beech fail in a woodland I inspect and you wouldnt have thought it could stand on such thin remaining walls .But it is was at the bottom of a slope protected by other trees I'll try and dig out the photos.

Blimey, get out the saws quick, Mr Humphries says it's ok :biggrin:.

Without dragging up and prolonging the agony of a previous recent thread, there is more than a subtle difference between these two beeches.

One (seemingly) is at the point of no return and one (in my humblest of opinions) wasn't.

And further more, what's with the plural on the saw(s),

surely one solitary great big one would suffice :biggrin:

Would be interesting to see the cross section of this tree if the OP gets to take it down.