Girdled roots

David Humphries

Howdee Lee,

even when they would appear to be constricting vascular flow and stunting the developement of adaptive butressing?

You used the key word David 'appear' to be constricting, pruning cuts are definite entry points for disease, I've seen street cherrys put up with some really severe girdling and still live to tell the tale, some of the girdling roots were huge.

Thinking back to my stump grinding days, I think I'm safe to say I rarely saw a beech without some type of girdling root.

Like I said mate very interesting topic

Sorry nearly forgot to answer about adaptive buttressing, I know what you mean , but is it really girdling roots that are stopping the buttressing? From experience trees (depending on species) that don't buttress are usually very sickly specimens regardless of girdling or not. Telegraph poles I term themes

Plenty of semi mature trees show no signs of buttress development, which could stem from numerous reasons, I thinks most often down to genetics

I remember when planting too deep was the main blame for girdling roots, I never subscribed to that theory

Edited by Lee Winger

Yes cherries graft better than some species. If there is no grafting then girdling is constricting and harm so pruning is in order, unless the root is >1/3 the trunk size maybe.

Roots compartmentalise much better than stem or branch tissue. If kept dry those wounds seal well. :001_smile:

"I remember when planting too deep was the main blame for girdling roots, I never subscribed to that theory"

And what theory has gained your subscription? :confused1:

Acer saccharum below deeply planted in the rootball at the nursery => bad girdling root.

003.jpg.1b10227572074c6c615621ed9b46ba23.jpg

002.jpg.d5bc54f812ea65dec0f014c13c901535.jpg

Hi treeseer, trees on this very wet boggy little island rarely make it past 2 years if planted too deep. My subscribed theory is that trees usually with girdled roots are planted in pits with compacted sides, here in the UK glazed clay being the main culprit, the compaction inhibits lateral root growth, leading to girdled roots, IMO just the same as being pot bound

However I'm no expert and can only speak of what I see here in the Uk

Edited by Lee Winger

You're welcome Marco, do you discover girdled root situations often?

Hi David,

Funny old thing but the morning I read the thread I was on my way to RHS Wisley and 'behold' I saw many, many trees that had girdled roots that indeed either grafted to the buttress or inhibited growth (on that side). Conifers too but the affect not apparent? I now wish I had taken a few pics. :blushing:

I do (as a matter of fact) note on tree surveys that girdling roots is a consideration for concern. I have in my past seen a tree succumb to windthrow due to the comparatively small root ball it grew with. The planting pit must have been 'glazed' during the preparation process as the roots just spiralled in the ground and had little structural value to the support of the stem and crown.

I have as a matter of course always suggested to my wife (RHS Plantswoman) that when she plants a tree she should sever the roots she can not physically untangle from a spiral within the (root) ball to give the tree a better chance of sending out some supporting laterals. To date it has been successful (fingers are crossed David).

I don't have the luxury of an airspade or I would make roads in to more investigative work. Hand tools are a very good substitute I hear you say!

This is a very interesting thread and I just wonder if some girdling affects some species over others (I apologise if amongst the papers I printed this is obvious but I have a weekend booked to wade through these coming up!)

I will keep my eye on this thread.

" I saw many, many trees that had girdled roots that indeed either grafted to the buttress or inhibited growth (on that side). Conifers too but the affect not apparent?"

Pines here tend to graft more readily.

"when she plants a tree she should sever the roots she can not physically untangle from a spiral within the (root) ball to give the tree a better chance of sending out some supporting laterals. To date it has been successful "

as well it should be; excellent advice.

"I don't have the luxury of an airspade or I would make roads in to more investigative work. Hand tools are a very good substitute I hear you say!"

but slower. much slower. :001_rolleyes:

"This is a very interesting thread and I just wonder if some girdling affects some species over others"

Acers are bad over here.