Girdled roots

David Humphries

Hi David, saw this post a few weeks ago and was inspecting a few trees in a garden by a river and came across this, its on a sallow, didnt seem to have affected the canopy in comparison to the others alongside it. unfortunately i deleted the picture of the canopy trying to get it off my phone and on to the computer. The actual root has broken through so but you can still see how it has squashed and flattened the buttress if i am passing again i will try and get the photo again. cheers

IMG00063-20121107-1314.jpg.f1f7be8e213571b2b458e57eca395206.jpg

Went back this morning to finish up mulching.

Sat away from the job a little and spent 10 or so minutes watching to see if the diversion part of the works were successful.

A few joggers and dog walkers were using the desire track during that period, the joggers came off the desire path 10 or so meters before each of the end logs and either came to the edge of the grass or on to the hard surface.

The dog walkers (a little less inteligent perhaps :sneaky2::biggrin:) made life difficult for themselves and skirted the logs and the mulched path as near to the edge as possible.

The dogs, well it looks like we've just created a nice new toilet for them :001_rolleyes:

DSCF2311.JPG.ed1065280f9f4bd7e4a1208bc038bb66.JPG

DSCF2313.JPG.4765da2f675817bb4b593ac3816fb4a7.JPG

DSCF2310.JPG.478a206ed43cc3890d7a8faae01af9e5.JPG

DSCF2309.JPG.0245bf006add6f48b09c031e102ce611.JPG

Mini digger is in the wings awaiting the nod :biggrin:

Good man. Toothed or untoothed bucket? :D

Which literature Tony ?

Roberts et al 2006, Tree roots in the built environment. HMSO - derives figure 10.14 (below) from Watson, G.W. 1996. Tree Root System Enhancement with Paclobutrazol. J. Arboriculture 22:211-217.

I found that digger torn roots of Willow produced a better growth response (more and longer new roots) than airspaded clean cut roots under the same conditions for my dissertation. Of course Willow roots readily but you've got to start somewhere

Capture.JPG.9e5cbc98fc3722b70cbedde2fc79784f.JPG

Roberts et al 2006, Tree roots in the built environment. HMSO - derives figure 10.14 (below) from Watson, G.W. 1996. Tree Root System Enhancement with Paclobutrazol. J. Arboriculture 22:211-217.

I found that digger torn roots of Willow produced a better growth response (more and longer new roots) than airspaded clean cut roots under the same conditions for my dissertation. Of course Willow roots readily but you've got to start somewhere

Was hoping I wouldn't have to pick up the trbe again for at least another few years. :001_rolleyes:

Cheers for that Tony :001_rolleyes::biggrin:

Strong root reiteration from increased wound callous lengths would be desirable of course, but perhaps not at the expense of a larger interface for root pathogens ?

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Can't really make it out from the image, is the affected trunk and buttress at a less acute angle compared to the other buttress root in the shot, as it flares away from the tree?

Ahh yes it is the buttress is definatly flatter and a less angle. however i had just put it down to the mower rash, i will try to get a pic of the canopy soon thanks for looking at it for me Rich

Strong root reiteration from increased wound callous lengths would be desirable of course, but perhaps not at the expense of a larger interface for root pathogens ?

Clearly you'd need to pick your battles - it would be a poor idea to increase wound surface area on a stressed tree - but have you seen the Watson paper attached? Very good compartmentalisation, even in Liriodendron!

Time for another experiment? :)

Watson G 2008 Discoloration and decay in severed tree roots Arboriculture & Urban Forestry 34(4).pdf

Clearly you'd need to pick your battles - it would be a poor idea to increase wound surface area on a stressed tree - but have you seen the Watson paper attached? Very good compartmentalisation, even in Liriodendron!

I'll have a read, thanks :thumbup1:

Perhaps doing an experiment on a control of the same species under different stressed (water logged, drought, compaction etc...) conditions?

Have you got a brief of your dissertation you'd be willing to pass on? I'd be very interested.

Lots of lonely evenings in the smoke during the week :biggrin: