Girdled roots

David Humphries

Guy, in your video here, you describe an historic girdling root severing from a previous RCX at roughly 2.40 mins

Do you recall if the 'live' end of the cut root had sprouted new roots at all, or had (like it looks in the video) died back after severing?

Is that the only piece of work done to that tree Guy?

Would be interested in knowing (culturally) how often you get your clients accepting this level of arb service on a single visit?

This was a semiregular wellness check, including thinning and demossing interior sprouts to speed recovery, a checkup on th elightning system, adjusting a few fasteners, inoculation of the distal rootzone.

I dug down to look for the emergent point of gano from root and found none; it just wiggled through the dirt as far as i could tell. On significant trees, clients very often want the highest level possible. On this case I am also diagnosing tip dieback related to twig damage.

The niche I work in, hollow old trees, clients have heard condemnations and little else from arborists, so preservation work is an easy sell.

Culturally not sure how US clients compare to UK's. I do know this niche market is not hard to find, and quite enjoyable to satisfy. :biggrin:

This tree will also get prescription fert based on foliar analysis; another expert handles that part. It will also get another resisto next winter, as the client's suggestion.

Guy, in your video here, you describe an historic girdling root severing from a previous RCX at roughly 2.40 mins

Do you recall if the 'live' end of the cut root had sprouted new roots at all, or had (like it looks in the video) died back after severing?

Nope no resprouting--very rare to see that. (no idea when the original pruning was done.) Watson noted regrowth on norway maple in an earlier study, which drew a lot of attention to the possibility, but in the field yes they are severed at the ground line and do not emerge.

This is one reason the flare stays clear on most trees after root pruning, to avoid inviting such ungrateful behaviour. :001_rolleyes: If you build the right conditions, they are more likely to come.

This was a semiregular wellness check, including thinning and demossing interior sprouts to speed recovery, a checkup on th elightning system, adjusting a few fasteners, inoculation of the distal rootzone.

I dug down to look for the emergent point of gano from root and found none; it just wiggled through the dirt as far as i could tell. On significant trees, clients very often want the highest level possible. On this case I am also diagnosing tip dieback related to twig damage.

The niche I work in, hollow old trees, clients have heard condemnations and little else from arborists, so preservation work is an easy sell.

Culturally not sure how US clients compare to UK's. I do know this niche market is not hard to find, and quite enjoyable to satisfy. :biggrin:

This tree will also get prescription fert based on foliar analysis; another expert handles that part. It will also get another resisto next winter, as the client's suggestion.

Mycorrhizal inoculation?

yes harvested fresh mycorrhizae from healthy live oaks, blended with soil conditioner and shoved into holes around the dripline.

sop; good research on tis by Ferrini and Fini Effect of controlled inoculation with specific my... [Mycorrhiza. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI et al

Have you at all noted any ecto mycorryhzal fruiting prior to or after inoculation Guy?

"The overall data suggest that inoculated plants were better able to maintain physiological activity during water stress in comparison to non-inoculated plants"

certainly looks like an interesting read.

Thanks for posting it up :thumbup1:

Have you at all noted any ecto mycorryhzal fruiting prior to or after inoculation Guy?

Nope; the inoculation takes place in turf and beds where any conk would be summarily decapitated. Thanks for asking; I'll ask that any fungal growth arising be preserved, and the owner is clued in well enough that i'm sure i would get a pic. Of course that would include the gano as well, should it ever pop up outside the 1m+ radius mulched area. :blushing:

After rcx, excavated material should be treated as a resource, not garbage.

Nope; the inoculation takes place in turf and beds where any conk would be summarily decapitated. Thanks for asking; I'll ask that any fungal growth arising be preserved, and the owner is clued in well enough that i'm sure i would get a pic.

I've had discussions here with our ecologists/conservationists around considering the fruiting of ecto mycorrhyza & getting them to try & limit/stagger the cutting back of bramble & grass within (and at the extremities) of the root zone of old oaks etc within their cyclical cutting regimes.

Here in an urban park from earlier today, a red oak with a girdle that may get a further inspection

IMG_2195.jpg.ab75b167a63743508161c18a8df1744c.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg.c7b5370af39c15a3dae7642f3961ef7c.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg.66bf2bc20c99cf3eb0155c49fcd334f3.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg.7a2a235837c221c2c62b153511535a33.jpg

This caught our eye whilst out looking at something all together different earlier today.

Advantitious Aerial Girdling Root.

Mower damage perhaps and then the developement of advantitious roots going off across the butress to feed in the soil horizon in the crevice between its neighbouring roots.

The chestnut is subject to HC bleeding canker

IMG_2222.jpg.cda4f4277f34b88d6f1e75865da15354.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg.e357a7cd9389cc32c1d67299c830f199.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg.4ca192f0ad28b19453d5556e052b1649.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg.a537dbe65df037c896b0200e8534a778.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg.9907fdb8f01e920f32998e7132189115.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg.94e1290f51450bbe63caac9732ff1961.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg.dceb9309e982706e3ea9df8e40b423ad.jpg

David, your damage -> adv root theory is plausible, but doesn't that cut section look like an extension of an old sgr to the right? It may have 'jumped' up from the point of grafting?

and the final pic on the right looks like an underground sgr that crawled over that buttress root. nip at soil line or below, keep clear, job done. regrowth into air is very rare.