Volunteer Oak in a conifer woodland on peat

difflock

The 30 or 40 acres at the back of our house which was systametically planted with conifers from 1978 through to about 1990 has a surprising number of volunteer Oaks growing in several specific locations, both through the conifer woodland and along the margins with the native moss.

So? what bird or animal is responsible, the nearest mature Oak trees would be at least a 1/2 or 3/4 mile away next the Bush river.

A few surprisingly vigorous healthy Beech as well, but through the birch woodland.

Any point in encouraging the young Oaks with a handful of special potato manure or other balanced fertilizer, or would that do more harm than good?

Cheers

Marcus

PS

I could arranged to be buried in such a woodland glade when my time comes.

Burp me in through a borrowed wood chipper would work well, if a trifle unorthodox:lol:

I could arranged to be buried in such a woodland glade when my time comes.

Burp me in through a borrowed wood chipper would work well, if a trifle unorthodox:lol:

That's how I'd like to be disposed of too - probably goes for quite a few of the guys on here?

As far as I am aware Jays are a recent "blow in" to the Co Antrim or indeed Co Londonderry, as I have only seen them of this last 3 or max 4 years.

Always but always Magpies, definately not Jays.

I was wondering about the Grey Squirrel?, and although these are also a relitively recent specis here in Co Antrim, but certainly been about for longer than the Jays.

cheers

Marcus

As far as I am aware Jays are a recent "blow in" to the Co Antrim or indeed Co Londonderry, as I have only seen them of this last 3 or max 4 years.

Always but always Magpies, definately not Jays.

I was wondering about the Grey Squirrel?, and although these are also a relitively recent specis here in Co Antrim, but certainly been about for longer than the Jays.

cheers

Marcus

I am under the impression that squirrel bite the acorn and this stops it germinating, whereas jays do not, anyone more knowledgeable on here put me right on this?

I have just transplanted four young oak seedlings, I found growing in a cluster, by where I park my car at home.

The nearest oak tree is about 400 yards away so I presumed it was down to a squirrel since Jays aren't that common around here and would of been too far for the millions of wood mice to carry acorns? Although the lil buggers managed to carry off about half a kilo of seed peas from the shed in one night last week! lol

I am under the impression that squirrel bite the acorn and this stops it germinating, whereas jays do not, anyone more knowledgeable on here put me right on this?

I have heard this but assumed it to be untrue as once the shell is damaged I thought they'd rot, surely the shell would seal it against infection.

Most likely I'm wrong though.

Dont start me about Mice and their extreme fondness for acorns.

I planted several batches of prime acorns different years , both in pots and carefully marked ground.

when no signs of sprouting seen, I went looking, NO acorns to be found, but no signs of disturbed soil either.

So I presume mice, having once found a nest, or food hoard with literally hundreds of Hawthorn pips and cherry stones ever so carefully nibbled into.

As ould Uncle Tony used to say, with a certain degree of affection.

"The wee bastards"

I planted several batches of prime acorns different years , both in pots and carefully marked ground.

when no signs of sprouting seen, I went looking, NO acorns to be found, but no signs of disturbed soil either.

So I presume mice, having once found a nest, or food hoard with literally hundreds of Hawthorn pips and cherry stones ever so carefully nibbled into.

"The wee bastards"

the Mikeys can sniff them out really efficiently I was told by an old gardner who used to put a sheet of cloche glass on each pot and a brick on top of that, the glass was better because you could see when they were up and the take it off.

"The wee bastards"

We must of had 80-100 in the traps set in the garden this year! And they still decimated the peas and broad beans plus my ash and oak seedlings I had potted up in the greenhouse and my hawthorn seeds I had stratifying :angryfire: Must of had half a dozen of the lil blighters commit harakari in a mop bucket left with dirty water over night by the back door though :confused1: lol