what could my ND in forestry and arb' lead to?

jimmylad

ive got a first diploma in forest mec and a nd in forestry arb. i tell u now the courses hav only given me a tiny insight into the industry and you'll need 2 years experence at least to emigrate. But after 4-5 years out of college i finally feel like im gettin somewhere. college was great fun. the lads the laughs. the birds. the sex. would recomend it to anyone.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO wether a given qualification is worth something is not related to the state of the industry at the moment. We all know its bad but there's no need to slag off coledge courses just beacuse there's a lack of jobs. A qualification is a qualification regardless of wether it gets you a job. I would love to have a degree in Arb but I don't, (I'm currently doing the Tech Cert).

Having quals does'nt make you a great arborist but neither does 20 years experience. You need both, I have some experience now and I have started a qualification. There's no reason why you shouldn't do the quals first and then get the experience.

IMO wether a given qualification is worth something is not related to the state of the industry at the moment. We all know its bad but there's no need to slag off coledge courses just beacuse there's a lack of jobs. A qualification is a qualification regardless of wether it gets you a job. I would love to have a degree in Arb but I don't, (I'm currently doing the Tech Cert).

Having quals does'nt make you a great arborist but neither does 20 years experience. You need both, I have some experience now and I have started a qualification. There's no reason why you shouldn't do the quals first and then get the experience.

Agreed

However the way in which the question was posed seemed somewhat vague to say the least

or in another context , i've turned up at a train station & bought a train ticket & later decide to ask the conductor,

WHERE WILL THIS TAKE ME:scared1:

Fine for a day out

but Imo ill advised, as an approach to career direction / choice

I think there are too many colleges and training centres jumping on the arb band wagon (which atm has a few dodgy looking wheels)

There were 2 arb centres (one has closed down now I think) in my area and now there is a hell a lot of lads with climbing certs chainsaws and vans but with no work, all chasing the same jobs.

It's just too easy for the local job centres to send young lads on an arb training course with very little hope of ever getting a full time paid job out of it.

There are a lot of experienced lads out of work atm looking to change there career so unless there is a lack tree lads on your area I would seriously consider doing something else tbh, there must be plenty of other jobs that can get you outside and away from the office.

I remember when I started 14 years ago it still wasnt an industry over flowing with work, we dont have a boom that lasts the way the construction industry does (except for the odd storm that might keep us busy for a couple of months).

Sorry to be another bearer of bad news but I was lied to when I was in college (still waiting for that £500 a week pay cheque :bored:)

hello all, many thanks for the (mainly) positive comments. as to the college, yep am i'm off to askham byran. cant wait.

as to yorkshires's mans comment, well granted i may have been a bit vague with my first comment, however i did amended it to were has your quali' taken you, but you already knew that didnt you ;) (no offence) we all have to start somewere and i'm sure once you must have know nothing (as i do at the mo).

anyway from what i'm getting back of people in their emails and messages, it can take me pretty much anywere i want to go. i've just got to work my arse of for it.

as to those people saying not to get in to the job sector, not much to say to that really...other than all job sectors are cutting back and work all around is hard to get but if your good and willing to work your arse of for it... but thanks for your opnion, end of the day you have a greater insight than me.

cheers to all those who have something positive to say.

regards

Edited by jimmylad

A combination of the ND in Arb/Forestry and experience will you put in good stead for a fantastic career. It aint the highest earning job in the world but to be outside working, you cant beat it. With the ND you will have done all the science behind trees, all the pest & disease, you will also do bucket loads of PHC (PLant Health Care), you will be able to get cheaper insurance because you have a formal qualification as well as tickets, Enjoy it. Apologies but those who are being negative when somebody wants to give themself a better chance of succeeding is being a bit ba humbug.

askham bryan sign up anyone and everyone there was some guys on my course that were scared of heights and chainsaws , they only decided to join course because they were getinng 30quid a week to come to col ! now they'v left and have gone to do othere courses not even arb relatedand by the way they lie when they sign u up to course saying theyll do this and that but never do any of that !

cheers

hi jonny, cheers for that insight. glad them kids dropped out, means there are less twits when i go. as to them promissing things that dont show, only time will tell. would i be correct in thinking you are studying there or have done?

starting to think i shouldn't have bothered asking people's advice, not many positive people out there...

all the best

If your looking for positive advice, ask a politician! Don't ask humble tree cutters in a recession for candy coated compliments. What sort of answer were you looking for?What you can look forward to after 15/20 years of climing/dragging/cutting is possible problems with joints, back, hearing and circulation. And unless you are one of the very few who crack the market, you can look forward to not having a huge pile of cash in the bank! But, theres now harm in giving it a go, good luck to ya.