what could my ND in forestry and arb' lead to?

jimmylad

hello all.

i've just been accepted on a ND in forestry and arb' and having no experiance in the sector (just a strong love of the outdoors), what kind of work should i be looking for when i leave college, also how easy (or hard) will it be, to use my skills to emigrate in the future?

as insaid i'm very new to this so any advice would be very greatful.

regards

james

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

erm...........google it. hahaha Seriously though thats some broad questions. So many different sectors to the industry and so many different countries in the world. Would have to be more specific. But getting qualifications in anything will only go to improve your chances of succeeding in what ever you choose to do in the future.

hello, yeah i know its not really very specific, sorry. as you may have gathered i'm pretty new to this and yep, i have had a look on google at the variuos jobs it can lead to. i chose to do a course that included forestry as well as arb', so that it would hopefully give me a better chance of a job and a broader spectrum of the sector.

i should have really put has any one done one of these courses and were has it taken you.

also, has any one used there skills to emigrate (no doudt someone would have). but thinking about it, i should really concentrate on passing course first and then think about emigrating. i often have a habit of trying to run before i can walk, something i know i'll work on, lol. cheers though frank.

regards

Sorry mate, but given the current economic climate, those qualifications will lead straight to the Dole queue.

Seriously, I see loads of freshly qualified's pouring out of Bangor Uni with no hope of getting a job.

Its not exactly high on the list of valuable skills in other countries either.

As far as emigrating goes, quilifications & experiance in the arb sector lands you very high points on Aus, NZ & USA's imigration systems, how old are u buddy? did you work in the industry at all before studying & do you do a placement year on your course?

Edited by educated arborist

Sorry mate, but given the current economic climate, those qualifications will lead straight to the Dole queue.

Seriously, I see loads of freshly qualified's pouring out of Bangor Uni with no hope of getting a job.

Its not exactly high on the list of valuable skills in other countries either.

Don't be so negative - The aim of this 2 year course is to produce competent arboriculturists who will be equipped with the knowledge and practical skills required to take up posts in the industry in such areas as grounds personnel with commercial contractors or local authorities, tree climbers or assistant tree or woodland officers.

+ in two years the economy will be picking up again.

If your young and have the time to muck about a college, do it. College/uni isn't all about learning. It's about growing up if you learn something usefull on the way that's a bonus.

How often do I find my 2nd year palentology lectures usefull? (I'm quite good with dinosaur names with my kids..I suppose:001_smile:). But some of the biochemistry, genetics, stats... Most of the stuff I've been taught over the years has little practical use but I still recommend going to college to anyone.

Going to college is all well and good but i think the industry we are in is going to experience some serious changes in the near future. Colleges are pumping out these kids at an incredible rate compared with say, ten/ fifteen years ago. I fear for the future of these guys. How are they going to get positions with minimal experience with so few positions availiable? I think the colleges are going to have to regulate their numbers at the very least. Maybe we will see a time when the current level of qualifications become redundent and are surpassed by far greater and more demanding standards. Even when i started ten years ago i had to write to nearly every AA contractor in england to find work. Virtually all said no chance without experience, and i ended up travelling the country on short term contracts. Still, looking back on it, it hasnt been such a bad life. In hindsight, i should have studied finance at uni and become a hedge fund manager with million pound bonus's!

A friend of mine did hiw NDForestry, has worked in all aspects of forestry, went on to arb work for a while, re-trained in Land Agency, now is a practising Land agent on rural affairs, he has a sound background knowledge in forestry management, which pays dividends when he has to advise land-owners. All you need is the drive to get where you want to go, and you'll get there. Good luck, and look beyond the immediate future, think what can I use these quals for.

Going to college is all well and good but i think the industry we are in is going to experience some serious changes in the near future. Colleges are pumping out these kids at an incredible rate compared with say, ten/ fifteen years ago. I fear for the future of these guys. How are they going to get positions with minimal experience with so few positions availiable? I think the colleges are going to have to regulate their numbers at the very least.

I don't think colleges will regulate their numbers given that their income is related to the number of students they get through. I used to be a learning support assistant to NCArbs. I would say that only very few of them were going to have decent careers because most of them didn't give a toss. They were there because it was fun and they got some cash out of it, and got off with girls and there were people like me around to make damned sure they passed. Because if they failed the college didn't get paid. 100% pass rates were the norm. But quite a few of these guys would have been a liability outside in the big wide world, and it wouldn't have taken any prospective employer long to work out that they knew the square root of bugger all. On the other hand, there were some really dedicated, keen students in the same class. They went on to ND, they got the work done, they made the most of every opportunity that came there way. And it showed.

Jim, just do the very best you can. Don't get distracted. Jobs may be harder to come by in future, but dedicated, clued-up people will be the ones that get them.