Not the right knot

Backpain

Yes, it sounds like he was about to clip into the loop that the slipped tie-off made.

I use a double bowline - thats just with a double loop at the start of the knot instead of one.

An instructor at college said that with a double BL I wouldn't need to tie a stopper knot. I still do tho.

Presumably that's also called a 'water bowline'...?

Water Bowline - Knots Guide | Arbtalk.co.uk

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it sounds like he was about to clip into the loop that the slipped tie-off made.

I use a double bowline - thats just with a double loop at the start of the knot instead of one.

An instructor at college said that with a double BL I wouldn't need to tie a stopper knot. I still do tho.

thats what i thought, i steer clear of the yosemite for that exact reason. looks a little tidier as a knot but bad skills if the tail that is tucked away becomes untucked and you clip into it :thumbdown:

Arran

I used to just use a spliced eye but since getting a spiderjack I didn't want a splice so that I can swap and change easily if I want. I therefore started using a fishermans which I think is best. But for when I'm having a quick climb up to anchor point I use a Yosemite so that I can fling the rope over and if the rope slides I don't lose the rope through the spiderjack and I can quickly clip in. When at final anchor point I stick rope through rope guide and tie a fishermans.

I have been thinking about asking here for a while now about the safety of using a Yosemite without a figure 8. I make sure it's well nipped up and I've got enough experience to know not to clip in to the wrong bit. I've also NEVER known a bowline to come undone on its own so thought the Yosemite has even less chance. Or so I thought!!

I always send the tail back up through the first loop where the line comes into the knot, this has never come undone and it keeps the tail out of the karabiners.

I did have a couple of issues with the knot undoing itself if I didn't stop knot it.

I can post a picture if people want.

Do you mean a Yosemite or is this something different.