Jockey wheels and speed bumps.

Mick Stockbridge

on my trailers i have fitted jockey wheels that pivot up out off the way so the jockey wheel is horizontal to the trailer chassis

i got the idea off my boat trailer the jockey wheel swivels up out the way so it dosent ground out when you back down the launch ramp!!!

there not cheap but well worth the investment as round here it is speed ramp ally!!!!!

Nonsense! Are you saying that all country lanes need either closing off or all the curves and corners taken out so one can drive 60?

Seems that getting speed bumps right is quite difficult. There's one near me that's in a 40, and when crossed at 42 you hardly know its there, at 30 or 50 it'll shake your spine out. (Took quite a bit of testing)

Perhaps write a few cross letters to your local council, with pics of the damage, and get some other locals to do so as well.

No. What I'm saying is that a road should be safely passable at 30. If they want to lower the speed then lower the speed limit and police it. All they're doing is placing an obstruction in the road. Similar to a reverse pothole that people always want repaired:001_smile:

No. What I'm saying is that a road should be safely passable at 30. If they want to lower the speed then lower the speed limit and police it. All they're doing is placing an obstruction in the road. Similar to a reverse pothole that people always want repaired:001_smile:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

When I pull my twin axle trailer over the stupid things I think of the flex on drawbar. You have one government authority saying only 100kg or so of weight on the nose and hitch then another dept making the things go from 100kg to 300kg to 0kg and back in less than a second. But doubt the office boys that design these things have ever towed a trailer.

only thing i can find on ebay is this

JOCKEY WHEEL CLAMP FOR,TRAILER,CARAVAN,CAMPING,BOX,BOAT | eBay

it only has a 500kg max load but its the same idea

i got my heavy duty ones that take upto 4 tons from a local marine shop think they were 85 quid each which included the swivel, jockey wheel, clamp ect

Perfect! Cheers for that....:thumbup1: I'll pop down the local chandler and see what he's got.

If you were adhering to the speed limit and I would think with a trailer or chipper thats pretty likely then I think you have a claim against the council. Stick another wheel on, go and take some pics of the offending ramp and the destroyed one and submit a claim for a new jack and labour and loss of a days earnings fitting it.

A