load size education

borderfirewood

It's quite simple really

Logs are £180 per load

How many logs do I get in a load?

£180's worth.

Sell logs per m3 there is no other way, if someone doesn't at least have some idea what a cubic metre looks like then take them to the vets and have them put down, either that or just deal with intelligent customers

I took one to the vet the other day but there was a huge queue of people who insist on knowing how much it costs to take a tree down over the phone. I had to drown him in the end with a bag of bricks.:001_smile:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity, and only roughly, what is the going rate for seasoned hardwood logs delivered within about 5 miles, cut and split. and what length do you cut at?

Price per cube, not "load"!

In our area £60 per cube for barn dried hardwood cut 8-9 inches, but only one other supplier advertises by the volume. All the other "suppliers" advertise the mystical load, whatever that is.. from £50 upwards. Hacks me off....if you can't offer a load by volume..or supply a weigh bridge ticket :001_huh:you shouldn't be in this business.

In our area £60 per cube for barn dried hardwood cut 8-9 inches, but only one other supplier advertises by the volume. All the other "suppliers" advertise the mystical load, whatever that is.. from £50 upwards. Hacks me off....if you can't offer a load by volume..or supply a weigh bridge ticket :001_huh:you shouldn't be in this business.

£60 is far to cheap IMO:)

i have to contend with the bulk bag & mystical load brigade!!!!! it really p***`s me off!!!

the average customer asks how much £ for how much logs i sell my logs by the cubic meter bag i cut & split into vented 1 m3 bulk bags so i deliver the logs in the bag so i know & the customer knows they have had a full cubic meter!!! its also less handling so is better for me!!

i get the `HOW much i can gat a bulk bag for 50 quid from so an so!!`

i then ask them which builders merchants name is on the bag when they tell me `xyz builders` ect i tell them the cubic meter of the bag thats been delivered for 50 quid which is normally .51 m3 (the others are .578 m3) so they get nearly double the amount of logs for only a few more £`s

when i deliver the logs in my 1m3 bag i take a couple of the bulk bags they get off so an so & fill both of them with my one 1m3 bag it takes about 20 mins to half an hour to mess about tipping one into 2 & then tipping them out again but it has secured a good few customers that keep coming back for more of my seasoned logs that burn hotter than so an so`s do!!!!!

you then get the `how much i can get a full truck load off so an so for that much` yeah mate he has a double cab hilux theres about .7 to .8 of a cubic meter on his truck i`m selling a full cubic meter for the same price!!!!

i had one of this guys customer use me when he was on holiday the guy could not understand why all the logs would not fit in his log store!!!

his next load came from so an so he put the logs in the meter cube bag i left him it was just over half full

result another happy regular customer who keeps getting me more custom! i`v worked him a deal for every person he recommends me to, i give him 2 bags of kindling on his next delivery FOC!!!

it is hard work getting people to believe you that the guy they normally buy form is really ripping them off as 2 guys round here sell the .51m3 bags as a cubic meter they advertise a cubic meter of logs then deliver them in a .51m3 bag which in my mind is illegal!

i value every customer & i work hard to keep them pleased, i try my best to stop them from getting ripped off by con men selling a bulk bag of green logs for a bargain price!

if a new customer is local or on my regular round for logs i will call by to see them at an arranged time to show them the size of the 1m3 bags & the quality of the logs with no obligation to buy from time to time i have even given out a free net bag of logs to let them see how well the logs burn this usually seals the deal & i have a call the following morning to order a cubic meter other times it has cost me a net bag of logs, a drop of diesel & half an hour of my time!

i think it is worth the gamble as i have had more winners than looser`s!!

bit of a rant there but it is a sore point with me!!! the playing field should be level theres enough customers out there for everyone!!!!!

although it is hard not too go by the m3 i still try not too give this as an example , Quite simply i deliver a load of logs of which the size of the tipper is ........ if they decide to euate that into m3 then thats fine but im not going to run the risk of getting a visit from weights and measures , i dont sell by the ton and dont sell by the m3 , i will happily send you an email of a load of logs on or off of the truck or indeed pop by and you can have a look for your self .

i seem to gain more customers than i lose and at the moment im happy if im sending out loads of logs on a sunday !!!

I agree with big Dave. The big bag issue has complicated this subject. Just work out the volume of the bags available - 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, and ask Joe public if they can tell the difference...clearlysome are taking advantage of this fact.

If everything is relative to the standard unit of a cube, then all things are equal. It doesn't matter how big your truck is (just work it out). We sell in cubes and 1.3 cubes - all relative - as 1.3 is the volume of our D22 pick up (taking out the wheel arches).

I agree with big Dave. The big bag issue has complicated this subject. Just work out the volume of the bags available - 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, and ask Joe public if they can tell the difference...clearlysome are taking advantage of this fact.

If everything is relative to the standard unit of a cube, then all things are equal. It doesn't matter how big your truck is (just work it out). We sell in cubes and 1.3 cubes - all relative - as 1.3 is the volume of our D22 pick up (taking out the wheel arches).

That's it in a nutshell, I was going to ask combined trees if he knows the volume of the load he sells for this reason.

If folk can do what you just said ... that equals ...end of problem