pallets!

willcope

Ive cut up pallets before and used to get a good bed of embers for hard wood logs. They burn fine and are good to get a fire in to life and good heat.

They are a PITA to cut up, youn need a couple of old chains and a rough saw but once you have a few large well stacked cardboard boxes full, they last a long time!

Theres some special pallet breaker bars you can get for breaking pallets, I have one its very handy.

Looks abit like this:

Dock & Truck Equipment | Pallet Pullers & Breakers | Pallet Busters & Skid Breakers - GlobalIndustrial.com.

As for the wood treatment there are symbols marked on the pallets:

Chemical fumigation The wood must be fumigated with methyl bromide. Pallets treated via this method bear the initials MB near the IPPC logo. From 19 March 2010 the use of Methyl Bromide as an acceptable treatment according to ISPM15 [13] has now been phased out.

Pallet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also you are suppose to have a waste licence I think? But maybe thats only if you collect?

One place I asked about with alot of pallets said you can collect pallets but only at the weekend when no one was around?! :blushing:

Sounded dodgy council can fine you etc.

i keep getting pallets droped off by people who think they are doing me a favour by giving me free firewood.

i sort them out into piles of the same size broken ones get cut up for kindling for my own fire when i have enough to fill the truck i take them to the pallet yard i get between £1-£5 each for them depending on what size they are & if they are clean

its not mega money but it`s money i would not have had so i`m happy!!!!!