Loading a rack.

Alycidon

Evening all.

What do you use to load cord onto your logs racks?.

I use a tele-porter with a set of standard forks on the front, even spread as wide as possible I get most logs unbalanced and decide to fall off either side. As I see it the options are an Albutt grab, ( I know that there is one on Arbtrader but its only got 800mm arms) of some sort of grab as you find on forwarders, timber trailers etc.

A

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Evening all.

What do you use to load cord onto your logs racks?.

I use a tele-porter with a set of standard forks on the front, even spread as wide as possible I get most logs unbalanced and decide to fall off either side. As I see it the options are an Albutt grab, ( I know that there is one on Arbtrader but its only got 800mm arms) of some sort of grab as you find on forwarders, timber trailers etc.

A

a timber grab similar to one on my crane could easily be made to go on a teleporter.. we have a smaller version on a 1.5 ton digger.. unbelievable what it'l lift... good thing with it is its very quick so inbetween loading the processor it sorts the cord out into 2,4,6 way wedge... less time changing wedge..

I currently use a friends JCB loading shovel with pallet forks on. In the past have used a tracked dumper with crane (which is the one Steve Blair now has) and a Brunnet forwarder. Should know by the end of the month if we have been successful with a grant application for a forestry trailer and crane and if so will use that. The Kesla trailer and crane was our first choice but having seen a Vreteen at the APF we may change our choice!!

a teleporter will most likely require modification to take a 360 degree grapple as they usually only have one service down the boom

instead of a purpose built grab what about a single thumb to go on the existing pallettines so then u dont have to change attatchments when u need the tines

a teleporter will most likely require modification to take a 360 degree grapple as they usually only have one service down the boom

instead of a purpose built grab what about a single thumb to go on the existing pallettines so then u dont have to change attatchments when u need the tines

Could you please explain that a bit further, thanks.

Teleporter is a Manitou, as you say only one service.

The problem is that you shove the forks in under the heap, this is about 12 feet tall. Logs are 2.7m or so. Lift the arms, the logs tend to overbalance one way or the other depending on which end is heaviest.

Maybe the Allbut grab is the sensible option, the Manitou would run that easily enough, or a small timber trailer with grab crane parked between stack and rack.

A

the work done would have to be to either run a wire down the boom to an electronic spool valve to switch between rotation and grabbing so that an extra switch on the joystick changes what function is activated when the third service button is pressed or there can be a spool valve installed opperated from inside the cab and more pipes put down the boom

and what i meant with the fork idea is that instead of the bottom tines on the allbut being used the forks are used and a single thumb is used to hold the logs in place rather than them unballencing i think reco sell them

Ive just loaded 60 tonne of cord onto a rack over the last week,i used a jcb 3cx with pallet tines,you just have to be carefull but soon get the hang of it,i used the 4 in 1 to grab the odd oversized piece.the best way i found was to have forks slight tilt to the floor go into the pile then tip slightly back and reverse out slowly then tip backwards and they tend to line up nicely against the bucket edge.saying that ive been on 3cxs for 20 yrs:lol: