Lad killed during tree felling acident

Dr.Green

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone up my way was killed during sometree work , 23 , was crushed and pronouced dead on scence.

whats a little worse is i have a friend who owns the holiday home next door , and he asked me to do some work the other week and put me onto the commity to do the whole place.

he never got back to me...

Horrible tragedy. I knew the lad in question, Mark, not well but I met him a couple of times through mutual friends. He asked me a load of questions about treework every time I met him- he always seemed really keen to get into the arb industry having mostly just done odd bits of gardening work: as far as I know he had no training or tickets but I imagine he'd have jumped at the chance to go and do what he saw as some proper tree work.

Looks fairly clear from the photos what happened, lack of experience being a big factor. Dead at 23 for the sake of a daft few quid- it shouldn't happen to anyone. Hate hearing about anything like this anyway but it's especially shocking when it's so close to home. Thoughts are with his family, can't imagine what they must be going through. RIP.

(btw how're you doing Richie? Been meaning to get in touch with you, I've still got your prussik/karab from that job a while back, sorry mate- kept forgetting about it- I'll drop em round next time I'm over that way.)

Nahhh that’s a barber chair pure and simple, there is no sign of a felling gob, looking at the terrain the tree was probably phototropic into the valley with a good amount of tension in it.

Someone has put a back cut in and either didn’t know enough to chase it through or couldn’t get the speed to chase it through

of course its a barbers chair.

i'm talking about the cause, if you look at the pic you can see the grey area, where water has been for sometime.

Awful to hear :(.

No doubt Kirkley Hall college in Northumberland (where I studied arb for 2 years) will have it up in the arb workshops to highlight the dangers as they have other arb related death newspaper story up on the walls. Quite rightly so IMO to illustrate the dangers to potential future arb workers, especially being local.

My thoughts are with the family and friends. RIP