Hatfield Park ATF visit

David Humphries

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. What would you do on the hornbeams, selective poll thin?

I think it depends on what the objective is.

To stop the very old decayed ones falling apart from having overly weighted lapsed poles on decayed trunks, then perhaps a staged reduction over three or four retrenchments.

But this probably needs to be looked at on a tree to tree basis, as some may actually not need any works.

Neville Fay (and others) made good points today, reminding of the fact that our time amongst these veterans is fairly short in tree terms and that we shouldn't really let trends concerning management of individuals and woodland to be the main drive. The older pollards are not ever going to brought back to what is a working and sustainable pollard, but the ecology in an around these trees should be given greater focus.

Must have been a pleasure to visit such a place David, some very nice specimens there.

I would say if the hornbeams need a little pruning, you could always put my name forward for some sympathetic reductions:thumbup:

I'll be sure to pass it on Pete.

Just mention my name when Lord Salisbury calls :biggrin:

Some truly majestic trees there David, and some very fine photography :thumbup:

Living mainly on reclaimed land trees like that are hard to fine around here especially old wood land, there are a few exceptions which I have posted on here a handful, visiting a place like that though would be like Christmas Day when I was 5, :blushing::biggrin:

Looks like an incredible place. I lived in Hatfield for 3 years when I was a student first time round and never went there. :blushing:

Was on the waiting list for this trip though. Next time :001_smile:

The park is open to the public (not all the sites that we were granted access to are) but its only open to from April to September. Think it's £3 to get access to the park.

Really worth the effort if your relatively close. :thumbup1:

Bargain! It's only a quick trip round the M25 for me as I'm near Burnham Beeches (so, pretty spoilt for trees really) so I'll have no excuse not to go come April. Will definitely add Hatfield to to the ever increasing list of places to visit :biggrin: