Rnli

Rich2484

nice pics.

but a few facts you can go back with rover.

the severn class is 45t, ours has just had a liftout not so long ago, did post a few pics a couple of pages back.

the props are not done yearly, unless they get broken, ours has just had a refit after 15yrs service and they didnt get changed. the engines did, and there service life has now been extended by 25yrs.

the severn is the biggest and until recently it was the fastest all weather lifeboat, now of course the shannon has taken that tilte. the severn is able to do 25knts, ours can do 27knts. the new mtu merc engines produce 1600hp each and thats restricted.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I've just read through this thread and found it fascinating! I'm originally from Sennen Cove in West Cornwall which has a lifeboat station so I have the utmost respect for the RNLI and it's staff & volunteers.

Anyway, I heard a band a little while ago do a version of this song which I'd not heard before. It tells the story of the lifeboat the Robert Whitworth which was called out to in a storm in 1881. The weather was so bad that the boat couldn't be launched so it was taken 8 miles over 500ft high moorland in a blizzard by teams of horses and hundreds of men digging through deep snow drifts. When they reached Robin Hood's Bay they launched but were beaten back by the weather with broken oars. New oars were brought and two men set to each oar. They got out through the surf and saved the crew of the stricken ship.

An epic Lifeboat rescue in Robin Hoods bay and a terrible tragedy

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3A18VTbN2k]Kimber's Men - The Robert Whitworth (Deal Folk Festival 2009) - YouTube[/ame]

I've nearly got to the point where I can listen to it all the way through without getting 'some dust in my eye'.

thank you.

it is a moving song when you know the story. a great feet of strength, and the people who turned out to clear 7 miles of snow. wounder if it would happen today?

another one that is very much in a lot of people hearts is the penlee, union star struck rocks and lifeboat launched, it was also this rescue that saw the start of the procedure for a coxwains decision as to to take a man and his son or family out on a shout.

it is very much seen as a no no but this will all depend on the weather and job.

it is a good watch.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeIX0VnUMKo]penlee lifeboat diaster - cruel sea - YouTube[/ame]

There is no way I'll be able to watch that here at work, it'll have me blubbing! Penlee is the next-door lifeboat to ours at Sennen. Sennen went to try and help but couldn't make any ground into the force 11 easterly. I was born in Newlyn a few days before the Penlee disaster, the weather was so bad the road to the hospital along the promenade was closed off by the police. Most of the nurses in the hospital had family or friends on the boat and we certainly knew most of the Sennen crew. If you drive along the coast road from Newlyn to Mousehole the old lifeboat house is there, left abandoned with the slipway doors open waiting for the boat to return. They built a new one along the coast in Newlyn.

nice pics.

but a few facts you can go back with rover.

the severn class is 45t, ours has just had a liftout not so long ago, did post a few pics a couple of pages back.

the props are not done yearly, unless they get broken, ours has just had a refit after 15yrs service and they didnt get changed. the engines did, and there service life has now been extended by 25yrs.

the severn is the biggest and until recently it was the fastest all weather lifeboat, now of course the shannon has taken that tilte. the severn is able to do 25knts, ours can do 27knts. the new mtu merc engines produce 1600hp each and thats restricted.

HI RICH that power there good on your service mate you and your chaps do a good job mate and safe others well done mate:thumbup1: jon :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

wow. its been 5 weeks since our last shout.

all has been very calm.

so training on tuesday and i have passed 3 assessments. launch and recovery of the lifeboat, helsman, and watchkeeping. so i can now launch and recover her, be left at the helm, and be watchkeeping while on her.

also past my fitness test aswell, god knows how. lol

give it a few weeks and thy christmas junkies will be swimming...

dont. its more the depressed + cliffs = us pulling mess.:thumbdown:

its got to be the worst time to be a lifeboat man. and some do quit after. only thing you can think is that you are just collecting and didnt put the there.

the south east has pulled 39 at the bigging of this year. lets hope its less this year:thumbup1: