Rnli

Rich2484

With being self employed and time not being an issue I'm going down my local station on Sunday morning to volunteer. Set up the interview today. Start of shore crew then progress onto the boat.

Looking really forward to it. :thumbup:

Just thought I might share incase there is anyone else out there that is any part of the RNLI?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it started when I used to own my own boat and go fishing in the channel. Used to come in and moor up right behind the RNLI offshore. Used to sit there and stare at it for ages. And my thought was always. I want on that.

So I've now got a chance of doing it. I know it's not going to be easy, I've got to spend time as onshore crew but I actually want this. So I'm prepared to do some dogs body work before hand.

Plus the RNLI do some excellent service and are worth more than they get.

Fair play Rich, but make sure you really want to do this before you comit.

Being 'on the crew' will take over your life. You will not want to work more than 2 or 3 minutes from the boat, or have an evening out, in case you miss a shout.

You will love it, but those you love may not. You will develop a habit of always checking on your belt for your pager.

You will always reverse your car into the drive, and make sure you are never blocked in. Always make sure you have some fuel, and dont leave the trailer on.

You will lay your clothes out every night, avoiding belts, laces and buttons, slip on shoes are a must.

You will have to let all your customers know why they may find the chipper running, but the operator dissapearing off down the road with tyres burning.

In short, it will consume you. You will have elation when you save a life and tremendous sadness when you are too late and have to recover a lifeless body.

It costs a lot to train a crewmember and too many don't fully commit, so the training costs are wasted.

But those who give themselves fully to the job will benefit from the comeradery of some of the most dedicated volunteers in the country.

Keep us informed, mate.

Cheers gardenkit. Im looking forward to it greatly. Im a bit anxious about working as when I'm doing tree work my car stays at the yard and we go in works van. Might have to look into using my car more if we are working away from the town.

Anyway I want to do it and I'm looking forward to the challenge.