a good friend crushed!!!

vduben

2 days ago my work matey was out with another lad, now he is a little inexperienced and was with a well experienced lad, to gain some experience he was felling a large amount of the 'crack willows'

so the story goes, the older lad moved the tractor out the way incase anything went wrong(famous last words) he turned around to see the other lad felling the tree, as he cut the leaning tree split out and didnt keep cutting, befor the old guy could do anything it dropped on the younger lad.

he was in a bad way, still under the tree he had to be cut out immediatly, the ambulance took 55 mins to get there (total and utter discrace and a formal complaint has been filed) when they arrived the said he had a broken pelvis, broken arm and smashed ankel!!!!!

this man was in serious pain and went straight to leicester royal infirmary!!! and it turns out he will be there for the next 4 weeks!!!!

this has hit the company hard and makes you realise how dangerous this job is, in my opinion if he hadnt of been triger happy and waited for someone to stand and help him then it might of been avoided but then god only knows what was going on inside his head and the treee at that time!!!!

and i hope he makes a full recovery and learns from his mistakes

take care

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope your mate makes a speedy recovery. It always seems to take something as serious as this for people to learn lessons.

55 Minutes is unacceptable for ambulance arrival, but did the company supply a full job sheet for the job including an emergency plan with a grid referance to give to emergency services?

most of you will know this but is worth mentioning here I think. If calling emergency services from a mobile, dial 112 rather than 999. apparently it is easier for them to triangulate your location. It may just make the difference one day.

Kev.

p.s. all the best to your mate.

as he cut the leaning tree split out and didnt keep cutting, befor the old guy could do anything it dropped on the younger lad.

firstly sorry to hear and send my best wishes on please.hope for a full recovery.

secondly with regards to part quoted above ....

was he cutting a stem with another leaning on it ? or do you mean a stem that was leaning?

not sure how it managed to fall on him unless he was doing something really silly like being under the fall direction ( even if it had split he must have been aware of its progress)

and i agree with 112 and also a scheme that is used around this area ( possibly others ) is the I.C.E ( In Case of Emergency) number on your mobile phone this is a number that you would like called ( your wife/partner/parents etc ) in the event of an emergency so that they can be informed asap without the normal hassle of trying to find peoples numbers and it is a scheme that the emergency services have used with great effect in single person accidents to gain information about the casulty ( diabetic ,etc etc )