Red diesel entitlement?

Hill-Billy

Hi Guys, this one has probably already been answered, but here goes anyway.

Does anyone know if tree-surgeons are entitled to use red diesel in chippers?

It would be a great saving, as red diesel is 70p/litre - sounds too good to be true!

A friend tipped me off and so wondered what the truth was??:001_rolleyes:

Hi Guys, this one has probably already been answered, but here goes anyway.

Does anyone know if tree-surgeons are entitled to use red diesel in chippers?

It would be a great saving, as red diesel is 70p/litre - sounds too good to be true!

A friend tipped me off and so wondered what the truth was??:001_rolleyes:

I would think you could as its not a registered vehicle same a saw bench etc,i,m pretty sure every one runs theirs on cherry anyway.

Yes

The only grey area I can see is if you tracked a self propelled one along the road for any reason and I've never heard of anyone being pulled for that.

Moving a tracked machine on the highway isn't a fuel issue as long as it isn't carrying nothing that's not immediately associated with the machines opperation.

Moving a tracked machine on the highway isn't a fuel issue as long as it isn't carrying nothing that's not immediately associated with the machines opperation.

I think you are wrong because it's the taxation class and disc that entitles the use of the fuel for a self propelled vehicle unless you are moving between land in your own occupation. This is why tractors doing contract hedge cutting or snow clearance are required to use DERV. As I said I cannot imagine being pulled up for this, I have driven a number of mulchers, tractors, diggers and chippers along the road for short distances. I did always display a tax disc on my tractors even though it cost nothing as this is the only thing that entitles a self propelled vehicle to use rebated diesel on the road. As you are probably aware HM customs have the power to seize vehicles wrongly using rebated fuel.

If you know I'm wrong I'd be interested in any pointers to the law on this.

I do know of one instance where an agricultural tractor using red diesel was impounded ( temporarily) for a non agricultural use even though it carried the appropriate tax disc, that was when the NFU used it to pull a trailer with a banner outside a labour conference.

(I'm not camped on this forum full time, just diving in when I get bored with typing up my hand written notes, 30 minutes per page, 40 pages to go :thumbdown:)

I think you are wrong because it's the taxation class and disc that entitles the use of the fuel for a self propelled vehicle unless you are moving between land in your own occupation. This is why tractors doing contract hedge cutting or snow clearance are required to use DERV. As I said I cannot imagine being pulled up for this, I have driven a number of mulchers, tractors, diggers and chippers along the road for short distances. I did always display a tax disc on my tractors even though it cost nothing as this is the only thing that entitles a self propelled vehicle to use rebated diesel on the road. As you are probably aware HM customs have the power to seize vehicles wrongly using rebated fuel.

If you know I'm wrong I'd be interested in any pointers to the law on this.

I do know of one instance where an agricultural tractor using red diesel was impounded ( temporarily) for a non agricultural use even though it carried the appropriate tax disc, that was when the NFU used it to pull a trailer with a banner outside a labour conference.

(I'm not camped on this forum full time, just diving in when I get bored with typing up my hand written notes, 30 minutes per page, 40 pages to go :thumbdown:)

Agg tractor and track laying isnt comparable

Yes u can use red in chippers or other plant, just dont get caught with it in ur vehicles lol, unless u wanna go down the old northern ireland route and have a hidden tank fitted lol but i woundnt advise it ( of course )

aye,its not un known for customs to remove your return pipe and see what colours coming out