Pto saw bench info and help

swinny

Hi there,

I'm looking to purchase a saw bench in the near future.

Seen the older ones with the big blades and no guards :001_huh:

There seems to be nothing on the bay to look at at the moment.

Been offered an old pto saw bench for 400 quid! no guards etc think its steep in price!

I like the look of the sliding table models, seen an oxdale video and was impressed (just the design of the table moving log towards the blade with plenty of guards and safety )! machine 950 pounds.

Anyway, restricted budget as always.

Just want to get something sorted to deal with my arb pile, and saves me using the chainsaw.

Buy second hand or new? finance?

What do people suggest?

Many thanks Chris

To be used along side of a 10 tonne splitter

Edited by swinny

Rocking table are about the safest, flat table tend to be good at snatching the smaller diameter round timber and sending it flying over your shoulder.

I used to have a hakki pilke eagle and that was a great little thing, but they are a bit dearer now @ £1500 plus vat (last time I priced one up). They have a corkscrew splitter built in which was great with odd shaped billets and has a pedal to disengage the belts when you jam the blade up (so making the belts last longer).

The Oxdale ones look very similar to the Rosselli ones, just painted up.

There are some that are fairly havily guarded which, IME, made them very awkward to use.

TCT blade is a must have -they take a fair bit of abuse.

try fuelwood.co.uk

I had a chat with Richard at the APF about tthe japa 100 and he said that yes they still do it but it's been guarded up that much it's now jumped up loads in price and they don't think that it'll be as popular. They didn't even have one at the APF.

Makes:

Hakki Pilke eagle, (M Large)

Japa 100 (Fuelwood)

Balfor (Riko)

Posch (Jas P Wilson)

BGU (Perry Plant)

(Ryetec) - can't remember brand but italian

Bindeberger/Krpan (Marshalls)

Palax (caledonian forestry services)

there's probably a few more I've forgotten too.

Generally second hand aren't far off new prices so if you can stretch to it, new's not a bad idea.

As for Viewing, not sure who there is out your way any more.

The 400.00 one is sounding appealing lol

New ones are 1200 quid ish inc vat

The 400.00 one must have been a belt driven one, then bottom pulley added and then pto shaft adapted, and 3pl pegs welded onto the frame. When on the tractor, the blade runs accross the back of the tractor so to speak, not inline with the tractor if you get me? STAY AWAY??

Wish there were some new ones for arond 650-750.00 if so i'd get one! :thumbup:

The brother offered me the old, origionally flat belt driven, cast iron table saw.

I had properly converted it to PTO drive as a teenager, it worked fine but essentially a hazardous operation.

Especially with round logs:blushing:

So I bought a Krpan from Marshalls, tried the 230 volt version, then bought the PTO version, if the 230V version had had a flywheel incorporated it would have been a winner. 230v so much handier than PTO

I am well pleased with it, though already considering "improvments":lol::lol: