Improving Chipper Security

TREE-SURGEON-ESSEX

Thats what I both love and hate about this forum.

I wasn't aware of the restriction on chipper security- chain it on.

Now I am I can stay legal but vulnerable. Great.

So basically while you are driving, you have to have no security protection. Presumably you can't use the inbuilt lock on the Timberwolf either.

I don't get this. Not sure why it's wrong to have it locked to the truck. How is this a bad thing?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what I both love and hate about this forum.

I wasn't aware of the restriction on chipper security- chain it on.

Now I am I can stay legal but vulnerable. Great.

So basically while you are driving, you have to have no security protection. Presumably you can't use the inbuilt lock on the Timberwolf either.

I don't get this. Not sure why it's wrong to have it locked to the truck. How is this a bad thing?

Here is why they don't like you chaining the trailer to the truck, if attached by a chain, in the event of a hitch failure (trailer running away) the tear away cable will pull the hand brake on and the trailer comes to a stop. If its attached by a chain the brakes wont opperate and the trailer will swing about wildly doing god knows what damage till it possibly breaks loose heading off to do more carnage.

The brake must be allowed to operate if the trailer breaks away, so how do we accommodate this?

You make the chain a little longer than the break away cable, manage the excess by doubling it up to shorten it, secure it to itself with a cable tie or two then cover it with gaffer tape or similar.

Now if the trailer goes independent the chain will extend until the break away applies the brakes and the chain will then tighten up on the deadweight chipper, you need to,stoop dragging it before you wear a hole in the bottom of the tyres:laugh1:

It's not a perfect system because you can still end up draging the chipper but with the brakes applied it will behave itself a lot better and the legal requirement is that the brakes should apply so it will keep the powers that be off your back.

Happy motoring

Here is why they don't like you chaining the trailer to the truck, if attached by a chain, in the event of a hitch failure (trailer running away) the tear away cable will pull the hand brake on and the trailer comes to a stop. If its attached by a chain the brakes wont opperate and the trailer will swing about wildly doing god knows what damage till it possibly breaks loose heading off to do more carnage.

The brake must be allowed to operate if the trailer breaks away, so how do we accommodate this?

You make the chain a little longer than the break away cable, manage the excess by doubling it up to shorten it, secure it to itself with a cable tie or two then cover it with gaffer tape or similar.

Now if the trailer goes independent the chain will extend until the break away applies the brakes and the chain will then tighten up on the deadweight chipper, you need to,stoop dragging it before you wear a hole in the bottom of the tyres:laugh1:

It's not a perfect system because you can still end up draging the chipper but with the brakes applied it will behave itself a lot better and the legal requirement is that the brakes should apply so it will keep the powers that be off your back.

Happy motoring

Ah

So the reason is if the hitch ball breaks Micks system won't apply the brake. I would have thought it would. Can anyone see why it wouldn't.

Happy motoring

If you knowingly drove such a setup I think you could well be in the frame for Dangerous Driving as that covers the condition of the vehicle or load as well as your actual driving. I would not do it.

As I see it, if the security chain is longer than the breakaway cable the brakes will be applied if the hitch breaks.

However, it ain't legal.

In America trailers with cable style brakes must have two chains of equal length either side of the hitch that will ensure the trailer 'follows' the vehicle if the hitch breaks.

What we are talking about is a single security chain attached to the side of the hitch, or centre line of the train. If the hitch breaks, this short chain will catch the trailer but cause it to slew to the side then jerk back and forth. If the trailer is sufficient in weight and the speed is high enough the trailer will steer the vehicle out of control and possibly cause it to roll.

I'm not 100% on this but a traffic cop explained it this may to me.