15w/40 and all that mumbo jumbo

likeitorlumpit

Simply because thats what the manufacturers state in their manuals:confused1:

And the SAE 30 in Briggs engines statement is supported by the fact that their own brand oil is SAE30.

And the 10w30 statement is supported by the fact that Honda's own brand is 10W30.

Is this wrong?:001_smile:

IMO yes! B&S yank engine - yank climate, possibly more acceptable for a straight grade but it's a mower in the uk with crazy weather!! And perhaps crazier people who mow in the frost :lol: !

A decent multi like I linked will outperform common sae30 anyway; flow when cold is important, straight grade performance in this context is arguable.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply because thats what the manufacturers state in their manuals:confused1:

And the SAE 30 in Briggs engines statement is supported by the fact that their own brand oil is SAE30.

And the 10w30 statement is supported by the fact that Honda's own brand is 10W30.

Is this wrong?:001_smile:

IMO yes! B&S yank engine - yank climate, possibly more acceptable for a straight grade but it's a mower in the uk with crazy weather!! And perhaps crazier people who mow in the frost :lol: !

A decent multi like I linked will outperform common sae30 anyway; flow when cold is important, straight grade performance in this context is arguable.

For internal combustion engines to run as long as they do (in excess of a few minutes in fact) it must be the case that there is no metal to metal contact on moving parts. For oil to 'support' the load it seems appropriate to constrain the fluid (to maintain its incompressible state) and this it appears is achieved by the oil pump with the fluid in motion, quite remarkable!

For internal combustion engines to run as long as they do (in excess of a few minutes in fact) it must be the case that there is no metal to metal contact on moving parts. For oil to 'support' the load it seems appropriate to constrain the fluid (to maintain its incompressible state) and this it appears is achieved by the oil pump with the fluid in motion, quite remarkable!

MOFT is the key here and different lubes hold up very different moft's! Anti-shear, hot metal, under pressure, labouring engine, acidic VI improvers, nightmare!

Ha I love that.

The engine manufactures just happen to produce an oil and recommend it in there own engines.

There are other oil manufacturers that make the same grades of oils by the way.

Rich, I dont think its a case of recommending the oil they sell, but rather selling the oil they recomend.

After all they don't make oil, just buy it in in their own packaging.

And, yes I know there are other oils of the same grade which is why I sell neither Briggs or Honda. I sell, and use, the appropriate grades from Rock.

Yes TCD, I do agree that a synthetic multigrade is probably better, but its alright for you, who knows a lot about oils to deveate from the the advised path, and indeed for me to, as I know a little about oils.

But anyone who has not benefited from an education in oils would be better to stick to the recomendations, surely?

I advise my customers in accordance with the manufacurers for obvious professional reasons. Maybe I should not have butted in to this thread.:001_smile:

Acronym Definition

MOFT Minimum Oil Film Thickness

MOFT Minister of Finance and Treasury

MOFT Ministry of Foreign Trade (various locations)

MOFT Merseyside Open Fencing Tournament (UK)

Take your pick.....:biggrin:

Merseyside open fencing tournament, but not sure what that's got to do with oil :thumbup: