15w/40 and all that mumbo jumbo

likeitorlumpit

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duckhams green snot (a 20w50 IIRC and not made any more) was the business for petrol engines that consumed oil.

BMW boxer engines (motorcycle) would be prone to using a right wee drop of oil in some cases on 10-40. Running them on 20-50 usually reduces oil consumption considerably and as they're air-cooled (until recently) the extra protection at high temperatures does no harm either.

I assume the miles are on the high side? That's very high consumption. Clouds of blue smoke?

Current Multigrade in the crankcase?

Low saps avoid poisoning the after treatment but does the engine no favours at all; valvetrain durability the main casualty.

130 k on the clock. Lots of Toyota petrols had a fault in the naughtiest they had holes drilled in the piston skirt which blocked up and the piston wore prematurely. Toyota were still replacing engines under warranty at 7 years old . I paid £350 for the old girl last March to drag trailers round the yard but loved driving it. When I had key hole surgery on my knee I could drive it weeks before anything else in the yard.

Never seen smoke from the exhaust even under hard acceleration

130 k on the clock. Lots of Toyota petrols had a fault in the naughtiest they had holes drilled in the piston skirt which blocked up and the piston wore prematurely. Toyota were still replacing engines under warranty at 7 years old . I paid £350 for the old girl last March to drag trailers round the yard but loved driving it. When I had key hole surgery on my knee I could drive it weeks before anything else in the yard.

Never seen smoke from the exhaust even under hard acceleration

1.8 vvti engine?

As I was reckoning before I even started searching this motor, oil control ring, ring grooves... 3 holes which are for oil control return...

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

1.8 vvti engine?

As I was reckoning before I even started searching this motor, oil control ring, ring grooves... 3 holes which are for oil control return...

Right, this is 1 of 3 vids I've now watched re these engines:

[ame]

[/ame]

In all cases, the pistons are absolutely filthy; disgraceful frankly. And they call that acceptable? No way.

Yet again, this is why I am an RL obsessive. Really reminds me of this 2/s vid which I've posted several times here already but you get the idea.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPHCleDds5A[/ame]

Toyota fill lube must be utter shyte.

We use 10/40 semisynthetic in everything, there is no confusion as to what oil to use in this camp. Supplied in black barrels by some dodgy outfit in Rye but cant think of their name :)

image.jpg1_zpspdfxwlyy.jpg

Bob when you say everything is that literally? Vans, trucks, chippers, tractors etc?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Arbtalk mobile app