People limping and hobbling at the APF

Dave Martin

Walking around the APF yesterday I really did notice the number of people in the arb industry who walk with a limp or a hobble. All the lifting associated with this industry obviously does take its toll on your body. I do logs and I often say that if another person says to me `this must keep you fit` then I am going to punch them. All my life I have worked in an office enviroment ( owned petrol forecourts ) and I religiously used to go to the gym about five times a week but since starting a Firewood business I find at the end of the day that I just do not have the energy for that anymore. I used to have shoulders triceps and biceps but now I just have aching knees back and hip. Where is the line drawn between physical work that gets you fit and physical work that kn*ckers your body?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Walking around the APF yesterday I really did notice the number of people in the arb industry who walk with a limp or a hobble. All the lifting associated with this industry obviously does take its toll on your body. I do logs and I often say that if another person says to me `this must keep you fit` then I am going to punch them. All my life I have worked in an office enviroment ( owned petrol forecourts ) and I religiously used to go to the gym about five times a week but since starting a Firewood business I find at the end of the day that I just do not have the energy for that anymore. I used to have shoulders triceps and biceps but now I just have aching knees back and hip. Where is the line drawn between physical work that gets you fit and physical work that kn*ckers your body?

I limp and hobble - trapped nerve in back causing constant pain in quadricep. 5 years now, so not actually arb industry caused. Getting the nerves in that back joint killed off next month though - hurrah!

I think manual labour will build a body that is more resiliant to the stresses of a physical job, but at the same time you are going to have aches and pains too. I can do a whole days log splitting by hand and do it again the next day, but it's still going to hurt. I suppose the difference is that office monkeys would be incapable of moving for a week after and probably tear a muscle.

I limp and hobble - trapped nerve in back causing constant pain in quadricep. 5 years now, so not actually arb industry caused. Getting the nerves in that back joint killed off next month though - hurrah!

I think manual labour will build a body that is more resiliant to the stresses of a physical job, but at the same time you are going to have aches and pains too. I can do a whole days log splitting by hand and do it again the next day, but it's still going to hurt. I suppose the difference is that office monkeys would be incapable of moving for a week after and probably tear a muscle.