New Lowering Device ?

RC0

Guys, if you are considering the purchase of a new lowering device this year but can’t yet afford or justify either of the big 2, then you might want to just hold off for a while as something new and interesting is on its way. While it’s still relatively early stages, the first prototype is currently being put through its paces and we are aiming to have the product on the market before the summer.

In case you’re wondering, my role is the design an development etc, beyond that it will be passed over to a reputable company who will then put it into production.

Rest assured, this isn’t just another Portawrap/Hobbs/GRCS rip-off that you see floating around Europe in one of those all inclusive Rigging Kits etc

In fact, over the last several weeks I’ve purposely avoided my Hobbs and any other LD for that matter so not to be influenced or distracted by them. Obviously I did make comparisons upon completion but was satisfied that upholding the discipline turned out to be a good decision.

Although I don’t really foresee the product making it to the US, out of courtesy I contacted Norm Hall (portawrap) and Greg Good (GRCS) to tell them what’s going on….I also wanted to pick their brains a little. Anyway, both were receptive, helpful and very encouraging to say the least….truly, they are gentlemen through and through.

Unfortunately, I can’t give much away about the actual design just yet, only that it is a circular object that is anchored to base of the tree….I look forward to revealing more when the time comes, but for now all I ask is that you bare it in mind. Thanks

Reg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was just ready to buy a GRCS, and as the sterling is pretty weak at the moment(eventhough it's rised slightly). thought this was the best time to buy over any other. is it really going to be that revolutionary that it will be a step above the opposition. or just a variation. it's the crank power on the GRCS that has got me interested. it can't be more powerful than that. IMO it's better letting a prototype product arrive on the market then they normally tweak it over a number of years to perfection.

i was just ready to buy a GRCS, and as the sterling is pretty weak at the moment(eventhough it's rised slightly). thought this was the best time to buy over any other. is it really going to be that revolutionary that it will be a step above the opposition. or just a variation. it's the crank power on the GRCS that has got me interested. it can't be more powerful than that. IMO it's better letting a prototype product arrive on the market then they normally tweak it over a number of years to perfection.

If sheer cranking power is what you’re after, then buy the GRCS….there’s none better!

I chose the Hobbs over the GRCS because its attributes were more relevant to the type of work I do and the preferred methodologies. One day I hope to own a GRCS also!

As far as this latest design is concerned, I was simply given a target retail-value and asked what could be achieved within that budget. So far I’m very pleased at the way things have evolved….but you must understand that I have put emphasis on different values than those prioritized by Greg Good and Ken Johnson's respective LDs. However, please appreciate that it’s too early to elaborate further.

What I will say though (such are my impressions so far and so long they continue to be favourable) is that the Hobbs is no longer the automatic choice in the tool kit, given my personal methods and preferences. In fact, I probably wouldn’t have bought it at all I’d had the option 12 months ago….and more likely had change left over to buy an additional 3.5 ton winch, if I was that way inclined! Thanks

Sounds good Reg, wonder why no-one has thought of filling the price gap between the Buckingham Portawrap and Hobbs/GRCS before. Seen a few homemade GRCSs/Hobbs in the past but nothing that pushed the idea forward. Looking forward to seeing the new LD.

Any idea on price?