Dealing with damage...

Andrew Barrett

I'm a subby climber and groundsman ,and being a subby sometime I get the awkward jobs employees don't want,wether its a branch needing reducing over a greenhouse,or a big of a drag through kitchens or ornamental flower border.in the end ,accidents can and sometimes do happen ,but I always own up at the earliest opportunity .

If I say broke a slat on a fence like I did the other day,I offered to repair the fence with a new slat in my own time at my cost ,or if i cracked a pot i would inform all parties and go from there .i think this is fair to the whoever employs me .its just good manors really,and builds trust and respect Mutually.

In the end where all human

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's tough, I think it's wrong to deduct from a wage by law. As a contractor you are making the profit from the work, it's your risk. Occasional damage is going to happen, carelessness is a human trait, wanton destruction is different, if any throws a saw or tools in temper and they get broken, there is no excuse for it. But bits and pieces damage I'd say you ride the cost. But make it clear that this damage is not acceptable to you, it could cost you the client and future work then they will be affected. If things don't improve, don't use them any more simples.

As for stopping the money for lost spikes 2year aftrer the event, maybe a case for tribunal these days?

As for claiming on a subbies insurance for such minor damage... No chance, it wouldn't even come to a fraction of the excess. Let's hope Rupe doesn't see this bit, it's his pet peeve :001_smile:

I really enjoy reading your posts Andy but since when has carelessness been a human trait ?

If they are just not taking care because its not there job . Nip it in the bud rapid otherwise it will just get worse . I had a problem like this not to many years ago . When I did all my own climbing and just subbed in groundies . One guy in particular had a bad habit of tying on my 020 with a magic knot that would magically undo itself halfway up the tree . This then would cost me a small fortune in parts . He also would not listen to what you would tell him ie watch that shrub and move that statue before we start lowering stuff . He was good with the customer's but had no respect for any property other than his own .

The last time he broke my saw , I came down from the tree and took his 026 off him packed up all the tools went back to the yard and then proceeded to land two crisp punches to his head . I did not pay him and kept his saw . I regret what I did that day but this frustration had built up over a considerable amount of time . Due to his total lack of respect . I now recognize the signs of stress and I'm happy with all the guys I work for and with :001_smile:

Carelessness is a human trait, because as a so-called intelligent being we have the fortune of being capable of processing thought and reasoning, therefore not to practise this is either ignorance or carelessness. An animal blundering through the undergrowth is not careless, it knows no better.

An incentive does not always have to be money, I paid someone the other day for his days labour, to show my appreciation for his good work,As well as his pay I gave him a couple of pounds of sausages to take home. Little things like this can actually be more rewarding.

I do agree that you wouldn't ask for extra for being careful, but as the main contractor, if your guys have done a good job, completed a tricky task inside the time allocated with no damage and you've made good money, then what's wrong with showing a little appreciation? The number of times I've heard "ah but it's swings and roundabouts" doesn't really cut it, it rarely swings the employees way, and always goes round about them, the short days rarely happen, but the long days to finish a job in a day happen far too often, usually without extra renumeration.

ApBell, so due to your lack of people skills at that time, you resorted to thuggery to solve the problem? Would you kick your dog when it doesn't sit? When I started out as a groundie, I had an awful lot to learn. I couldn't tie certain knots. My boss at the time showed me, gave me length of rope and when I'd mastered the three knots he'd shown me, I got an extra fiver in my wage packet. He could have just punched me for not knowing them. I'm not having a dig, but you provided an example for me to use.

garden kit, if it's not the money they are working for, what is it? To make the boss richer? Of course people are driven by money.

Of course people work for the money Andy, but my point was that they should not have two standards.

If they accept the offered rate of pay then they they should give 100% in both effort and care. Its one thing to then find that their standard of work is not up to your expectations, this is your problem if they really cant do do it right and you have to review their employment.

But to give an incentive payment and find that they can then suddenly do it correctly is totally wrong.

A good guy will give 100% whatever the pay if he has accepted it, the ones who dont are virtually holding the employer to ransom.

I'm fortunate, I try to only work with "can-doers" and those that care enough about the work and the money to do the job the right and acceptable way. I have had the misfortune to work with those in the past that didn't give a damn, but they weren't in my employ, but someone else's. So I've seen things from many sides over time. I do know that shouting, swearing, punching and abusing staff does not work these days, and from personal experience treating people as you'd like to be treated reaps a better reward. But hey ho, we all have to do as we see fit.

On the other hand i was climbing for a firm and the one of there guys put a full combi can on its side with the top off on top of my open kit bag all my gear covered in chain oil a real mess !!!!! i have also had lowering ropes cut as they havent removed them before snedding up !!!!

I think it would be reasonable for the boss to say that on small things, you get the first accident free and then start paying if its repeated. If you've stood on one shrub and been told, its fair to say that you shouldn't really be doing it twice. IMO

After I have explained to an employee how to perform a certain task, I ask that employee to show me how that task is done and If I am completely satisfied with how the task has been completed I move on from there. If something is damage or broken either in the wear house or in the field depending on the circumstances I may pay for the mistake or cause if I actually had something to do with the matter. Usually the employee will fess up to the mistake or error and the issue is sorted. If history chooses to repeat it's self again the employee will pay for his mistake. This has worked for me and it is interesting how much more focused the employee becomes once they understand that a shared cost of doing business is just that. On a side bar, I recommend that if anyone employs family or family the rules apply in the same manor. An employee manual explaining rules and responsibilities would also cut back on the drama associated with this issue.

easy-lift guy

Edited by easy-lift guy
spelling