Cranes are now old skool

Pete Mctree

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would - if I was paying the heli hire bill....

No no no you have it all wrong the customer pays for the chopper:001_tongue:

I've never paid for a piece of machinery in my life, all my punters pay for it:sneaky2:

As regard to the couple of dodgy picks I remember speaking to some old rich woman who was going to hire in a heli to lift and move an old yew tree! She was told that if the heli was trying to lift the tree and a some roots caused a bit of resistance when they snapped of where severed the heli could spin out of control because of the shift in pulling weight.

Maybe thats why they couldnt really have alot of tension on the lifting line.

In the end she got a 50 or 100 ton(cant remember which) moblie crane in to do the job, tree didnt look too great but was still surviving 5 years after the move. :001_smile:

one of my claims to fame is that i have been knocked down and crushed by a helicopter

I used to do a lot of work for national trust doing moorland restorations and we used to fly all fencing and bales of heather out to site.

1 of us flew with the pilot to tell him where to drop stuff and the other had to hook up directly onto the copter belly to keep everything short and if you can imagine 20 bales stacked up and getting between them and the skids the capter did not have much leway and got crushed several times but was great fun and the pilots used to give us proper flights back from the drop zone to see how scared they could get us:scared1:

one of my claims to fame is that i have been knocked down and crushed by a helicopter

I used to do a lot of work for national trust doing moorland restorations and we used to fly all fencing and bales of heather out to site.

1 of us flew with the pilot to tell him where to drop stuff and the other had to hook up directly onto the copter belly to keep everything short and if you can imagine 20 bales stacked up and getting between them and the skids the capter did not have much leway and got crushed several times but was great fun and the pilots used to give us proper flights back from the drop zone to see how scared they could get us:scared1:

Well you beat me there Bob!!, I've never been whacked by a big chopper!!:scared1: