Aldi saw

Rich2484

To be fair the people working in aldi aren't going to have a clue about ppe etc. your better of giving aldi a grilling rather than some poor student on minimum wage

My thoughts exactly. But then should the staff have a bit of training so if a question is asked they have the answer.........

It's a big afterthought to sell these tools without doing anything, but then they are a big store and you would get the same response from b and q, but then they also sell the ppe to go with the tools they sell.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair the people working in aldi aren't going to have a clue about ppe etc. your better of giving aldi a grilling rather than some poor student on minimum wage

and from what they say or the lack off can be brought forward to the attention of the area manager/ aldi's hq.

Petrol stations sell stuff to make cars go (fuel), but not to make cars stop (pads, disks etc) because these things are sold in other shops.

I can't really see how it is any different Aldi selling a saw but not the appropriate ppe? Should they sell gloves, ear-defenders and goggles wherever hammers are sold?

And as far as the quality of the saw goes it won't be great and I won't buy one, but the aldi warranty will be backed up with no hassle, product changed or money returned whereas both stihl and husky like to weasel their way out of warranty issue whenever possible!

It's probably impractical for Aldi, B+Q etc to sell PPE in store given the numerous sizes they would need to stock, but that doesn't excuse Aldi etc from providing advise in store; perhaps they could supply a leaflet or two providing details of where the PPE can be bought (there you are traders, give Aldi a call and possibly get some free advertising, put some flyers in store).

If you want a Stihl saw you have to pick it up in store, unless you have the right certificates, and if so they will post it to you. But for 'Joe', he has to visit the retailer to collect the saw that's been commissioned, and the retailer then runs you through the essential safety features (although they may omit talking about kick back cos Joe might run out without purchase, deciding to hire a pro instead).

I have to say for Aldi to be selling these cheap chainsaws is a bit irresponsible. Look at the guy who got fined for using one on a ladder(idiot). How are they going to stop wasted A&E time without some sort of restriction. Aldi on the other hand are ONLY thinking about profit.

We think- what harm can it do- but chainsaws are serious dangerous and every accident puts more restriction pressure on us who need them as a working tool.

Someone on here said they asked H&S what percentage of chainsaw accidents were caused by professionals and H&S said they didn't keep separate records. I don't know how true that is but the last thing we want is full chainsaw protection suits:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

John, you're right. I was going to suggest that because cheap chainsaws are so readily available through DIY stores and ebay and other on-line suppliers, that Aldi selling them probably wouldn't make much difference. But then I thought about it a bit more.

There are several things I have been tempted to buy in Aldi and Lidl (and Asda etc) purely because they are there and I thought they might be useful. The same will happen with chainsaws - people who wouldn't normally buy one are more likely to buy one just because it's there. I can imagine Mrs Smith buying one for her hubby because she's fed up with the state of the back garden. It's different if someone has already decided they want to buy a chainsaw and then seek one out, but sales of stuff like this in Aldi etc, is more likely to be a spur of the moment decision.

A couple of years ago, our local Lidl advertised that were doing specials on snorkels, facemasks, wetsuits etc. I looked in the leaflet and saw they were dong a nice massive diving knife with a leg sheath. This Lidl is right in the roughest estate in the area. I got straight on phone to the local police, who got on to Lidl and the knife was withdrawn from sale before it even got into the shops. Thing is, a knife is a restricted item but a chainsaw isn't so I'm not sure if they would be so willing to remove them from sale.

I really cant see why Aldi want to bother with chainsaws. Although as Pedroski says, there will be impulse buys, surely there cannot be a great volume in each store.

Add to this the hastle they will get from returns (there will be loads) and I doubt they will make any money from selling saws.

Returns of this type of product are huge. Some have broken down as discussed here, others have failed to start out of the box.

Some are returned because they siezed immediately due to no 2 stroke being used, and some because they dont cut as the chain is on back to front. They will all be exchanged with no questions asked, as no staff know which questions to ask.

Amazingly too, some will be returned with an excuse that it does not work properly, after it has been used to do the only job required of it. (buy the saw, cut down your only tree, return the saw)

Good luck to Aldi.

Edited by GardenKit
spelling

Lad who used to work as a groundie for me,set his self up last year. First thing he bought was a chainsaw from BQ at £80. We all took the lash out of him. He's taken it back a couple of times (when chain was knackered and slack) and they have given him a new one,more balls than me hehe. He bought a second hand chipper about 3 weks ago so making some ££'s and to top it all he got me out of the mire back in June when I got all my saws knicked.

Sod it I'm of to buy one might change my luck.lol

I have to say for Aldi to be selling these cheap chainsaws is a bit irresponsible. Look at the guy who got fined for using one on a ladder(idiot). How are they going to stop wasted A&E time without some sort of restriction. Aldi on the other hand are ONLY thinking about profit.

We think- what harm can it do- but chainsaws are serious dangerous and every accident puts more restriction pressure on us who need them as a working tool.

Someone on here said they asked H&S what percentage of chainsaw accidents were caused by professionals and H&S said they didn't keep separate records. I don't know how true that is but the last thing we want is full chainsaw protection suits:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Wasted a&e time? I think this is getting blown out of proportion here, how much a&e time do you thinks been taken up with chainsaw accidents?