Old vintage pto saws

njc110381

a piece of knotty timber shot out from between the splitting blade & table & hit me square in the balls!!!!

You're kidding right?! :scared1:

I've been looking for some time and haven't seen a sliding table type for anywhere near my limited budget. I have got a lathe and a welder though so after reading the above perhaps a second table mounted on rollers may appear on the old one I'm looking at! Not quite related I know but it still proves that things don't always go according to plan!

On a side note has anyone tried those Polish screw splitters advertised on ebay? I can't afford a Hycrack and as I'll only be turning over maybe fifteeen tons per year the mutts nuts top of the range Hycrack may not be needed.

Edited by njc110381

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second renewablejohn's suggestion of a Browns.

Managed to get on off fleabay recently - older model, but the only difference with the newer model is the wrap around cover for the blade, but if you want that it would be easy enough to knock it together yourself.

All that said, not had a chance to flash it up yet and definitely need a new blade as the one it came with had been 'touched up' with an angle grinder apparently :001_rolleyes:

You're kidding right?! :scared1:

I've been looking for some time and haven't seen a sliding table type for anywhere near my limited budget. I have got a lathe and a welder though so after reading the above perhaps a second table mounted on rollers may appear on the old one I'm looking at! Not quite related I know but it still proves that things don't always go according to plan!

On a side note has anyone tried those Polish screw splitters advertised on ebay? I can't afford a Hycrack and as I'll only be turning over maybe fifteeen tons per year the mutts nuts top of the range Hycrack may not be needed.

seriously dude direct hit!!!!:bawling:

i`v since made some modifications as in a guard to stop the same happening again

plus the piece i was trying to split had a sloping top cut which i think helped it slip & shoot out at me

i will send you a pm of where i got my screw type splitter from!

As a regular user of a Browns death trap, i do not have a problem with them. They have there querks, which take a bit of getting used to.

The first time i used it i was scared witless, working that close to a spinning blade of death. But with practice i have become used to it, and it now longer scares me witless. It now takes me less than 20 minutes to cut enough logs to fill a M3 section in my trailer.

You can pick them up for maybe £200, sometimes less. Quite cheap really when you consider what they can do. I was looking at one up your way yesterday but can't find it now, typical really!

If you find it and aren't interested in it anymore send me a pm :thumbup1: cheers