Suitable qualification for doing tree surveying?

Adam Atkins

Hi all,

I'm currently studying on the Level 3 Tech Cert Arb course, with the management exercise due in October. If I complete the course I'm interested in the possibility of carrying out tree surveys as an extra string to my underemployed professional bow (I'm a chartered landscape architect).

There's been some debate as to whether the Tech. Cert. is a sufficient qualification to start in this kind of work: my course tutor (Warwickshire College) reckons that it is, and that it's a good qualification; the Arb. Assoc's Guide to Qualifications also states that this is an appropriate level of qualification for a tree surveyor.

However, an experienced surveyor I know reckons that the Diploma should be the minimum qualification. But with the Diploma now an expensive two-year course, who's going to study to that level before they can start work in the profession, other than people currently working in arb whose studies are financed by their employers?

Any views?

Thanks.

Your tutor is correct, but minimum level 3 with experience is crucial. also a good grounding in Arboricultural operations and a large helping of common sense is essential, this is my opinion anyway. You could degree MSc or diploma but without the rest is next to useless from my experience (on both sides of the fence)...

have you contacted myerscough college. im about to start a online foundation degree in arb. they may have a course for which you could study online aswell. so ud be earning and learning at the same time bud. i myself couldnt afford to take time out and study for a degree and their approach works for me. theres are other colleges supplying courses posted in arbtalk.

We were asked to produce a report recently for a court case, and discovered on internet that a good amount of work experience in industry is another perfectly qualification to carry this out.

No amount of qualifications/letters after name can replace valuable life learned expereince dealing with trees on a daily basis, something that is often blatently obvious when clients give us reports and surveys done for them by qualified people who cannot even correctly identify trees!! or spot obvious defects etc.( reports that cost a lot of money to have done) so I would advise qualifications and experience every time

It's what you know that matters. Courses are never a waste of time (money might be a different matter...) but experience and reading will teach you everything you learn on courses - if you know what to seek out of course!

If you intend doing safety inspections, however, the PTI is a very good idea as

1 - it's only 3 days

2 - it will help with your PI insurance

3 - when you end up in court (which you will) it aids credibility

4 - all knowledge is good

It really depends on what you mean by surveying trees.

A simple level 1 survey is something that anyone could do after a days training. Tree Warden level.

Level two surveys should really be accompanied with some arboricultural qual at level 3 or 4. This will include BS 5837 surveys and hazard assessments. I quess this is where you want to pitch yourself.

Level 3 surveys which include detailed surveys of trees should probably be accompanied with a level 6 qual (BSc or Prof Dip) and several years of experience. At this level, you should be able to understand and identify pests, disease, decay fungi and their stategies, bio-mechanics etc etc. and communicate this information succinctly within a report.

I come across many tree reports from so-called arb consultants. A lot of what I come across is generally crap and lacking in specifics and detail. As a Chartered LA, and I would be interested to know how long ago you Chartered, you would be in an excellent position to understand the planning process and construction details in relation to trees and developent. I think though that you should not rush into tree reports unless you are working with someone more experienced who can give you a good grounding and much needed experience first.