Council slapping tpo on tree's

treeracer25

If there has been no known threat to a two hundered old tree and I can not be seen from a public open space why should the tree have been protected by an TPO? I do not have time to drive around the area looking for all the tres that should have a TPO all my time is taken up with task that came in vai my in tray, e-mail and telephone. You do known that due to Council cut backs more and more TO's have no admin support that more and more time is taken up with administering the regulations? I am lucky to get out the office once a week but more likely once a fortnight!:thumbdown:

Your choice to work in the public sector

Think yourself lucky, I,ve been working 7 days a week 70 - 8o hours a week for the last nine month, no holiday pay, no sick pay and no pension, but we digress :001_rolleyes:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My parents had the planning department officers over for coffee when they wanted to put in for planning permission for an extension on the house, how's that for brown nosing :laugh1:

Lady from the planning department came to my place when I put in plans for an extension. She trod in a dog turd in the back garden (one of my dogs did it behind her). Permission got refused!

If the Council are happy to stick a TPO on a tree in someone's garden to preserve it, which then may cause the owner additional expenses in its upkeep, then perhaps they should meet this additional expense. Thet may then be a bit more choosy and not take a scattergun approach!

As a wee aside I had to argue with a local planning department for 2 days to be allowed to plank an oak tree whick had a tpo on it when it was vertical. It had been winblown for 5 years but because a local developer was wanting to build houses on the land they stuck a tpo on every tree. The planning officer also thought that this applied to horizontal ones as well as the vertical. After I lost my temper with him I asked him for advice as to whether outdoor varnish was better than Danish oil. He then realised how silly he was being and let us mill it.

You can quite easily get around that by saying your busy until a certain date. I think it would be arrogant of a customer not to be ok with you not being able to do the work immediately, self employed arbs have to book future work in obviously.

Will, that's all well and good. BUT, business is business, and if work can be done immediately or soon then that's when it should be done. If I turn round to a potential customer and say I can't do something for 4 weeks, then all they'll do is find someone who can do it now. Sure, self-employed arbs have to book future work in, but in the current climate of lack of work etc, then they also have to do work when they get it before someone else does it.

I cant belive some of the views of what people think is right!

This is worse than the sneaky assessor thread!

Wouldn't go down to well for the professional arb industry would it.

" I invited a local professional Arb firm to quote on removing a tree but the guy said 'oh no, I like this tree I'm going to put a stop to you felling it'":thumbdown:

I can't understand the hypocritical views. Ok to fell tree A because I don't like it but tree B is staying wether you like it or not.

IMO TPO's shouldn't be granted without the tree owners permission, yes the tree owner, the one who could end up with a life time of grief and cost because someone decides that it looks nice and then toddles off unaffected by it all!

Sneaky assessors and now sneaky arbs:laugh1: be careful posting threads on 'how would you tackle this job' 'how much would you charge for this' etc etc, someone might just try and stitch you and more importantly your client up.:sneaky2:

I am quite disgusted at what I've read tbh.

Surely this is the difference between a pro company and a cowboy outfit, knowing where and when to do the right thing?

I am quite disgusted at what I've read tbh....too. And it doesn't shine to good a light on the professional tree industry as a whole.

Simple answer.

Tell the client you have to check for TPO anyway. If they don't want you to do that then walk away. End of problem.

The OP's situation is different and I do sympathise with that.

With regard to reporting an intention to fell, due to being asked by the client. If its a half decent tree you got to check it with the TO anyway.

If the client says no. Then why cause yourself the hassle, you're out of the equation anyway.

Would you then go and report this situation to the TO. No lifes too short.

Edited by Albedo
typo

I see both pints to, but I've got to admit I once reported an intention to fell a 200ish year old copper beech, it was in a front garden in the centre of a beautiful village, sand it was a beauty of a tree. the property was owned and built by the parents of the client, they have passed on and left him the house, I know this because I did previous work for them. The son moved into the house and was getting himself a new range rover sport to park on the drive "next to the tree" so guess what the tree had to go!!! I quoted for the job (tried to talk him out of it) but the quote was accepted, It didn't feel right so I informed the council that in three weeks I will be removing the tree, and If they want to slap a TPO on it then do it ASAP!! I heard nothing back so the tree was felled... I could have walked away from it but why let others benifit? if it had to be done then I'm happy to do it and I feel good about it because I feel I tried to do the wright thing???? others may not agree but I went with what I felt was the right thing to do!

Isn't a post on a forum complaining about the futility of internet forums the pinnacle of futility? :lol:

Perhaps, but then I didn't say it was futile; just vapid and mundane. Perhaps your pinnacle is reserved for the futile observation of the observation of futility...

Edited by Amelanchier
Sucking out some of the pointless venom...