Council slapping tpo on tree's

treeracer25

This has just come to my attention but I will explain the story.

About 9 weeks ago I priced up two pine trees about 50ft tall to take down in a rear garden backing onto a park, I check for a tpo and it came back all clear and I booked the job in for the following month 16.08.2012

We had to gain access through the park and applied for access on the same date as above, we was granted access to allow us to take the tree waste across the park. Around 7.30 this evening a tpo officer posts a letter through my clients door slapping a tpo on the trees. How can they do that the night before theyre due to be taken down? now I have a crew of guys with very little to do for tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Any advice? Cheers.

P.s I hope I made the story clear....

Hmm, back to the original post - that's just life init? Sometimes things don't go to plan. We have booked work in before, only to be called by client the evening before saying they've had a change of mind. Even turned up to do a job before to find the place all locked up and client gone on holiday.

As for the TPO, it's quite likely that a third party had got wind of the fact that your client was going to have the tree felled - maybe a neighbour - and had got in touch with the TO, hence the slapping on the TPO.

Simple fact is that there is now a TPO on the tree so you deal with it like any other TPO tree. That's the risk of delaying things - should have done it when there was no TPO and dealt with the arisings problem after, pricing the job for worst case scenario of removing everything :001_tongue:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no collective responsibility? We are all responsible for our surroundings, in a professional way and in a personal way, what about our moral responsibility?

Well you can feel a morral collective responsibility of you want to but the only legal responsibility is under the TCPA. When a client contacts you and imparts confidential information you have a legal responsibility to them, if you do something that then confounds their otherwise legal wishes and desires you are open to recovery of any losses from them.

I always explain the options and make recommendations to allow the client to make an informed choice but ultimately it is his property and his choice.

Where I think the occasion demands and circumstances permitting, I have persuaded clients to allow me to prune trees to a sustainable levell just to see if the client can live with that rather than the removal they asked for, some like it some don't, if they don't I fell the tree for the same price as the felling, I am comfortable with that so you can call that my collective responsibility but my duty is first and foremost to the client not his tree.

Agreed Andy.. although we all want to make money... and the clients wish often takes precedents over our opinion or the trees needs, are we not in this industry to care for trees?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Agreed Andy.. although we all want to make money... and the clients wish often takes precedents over our opinion or the trees needs, are we not in this industry to care for trees?

This is the thing, I'm not, never have been, I run a "tree services" company.

I'm not a doctor who has taken the "Hippocratic oath" to do no harm.

The thing that gets me is you "tree care" guys will happily decide which trees are fit to be killed and which you won't, I really don't think "health care" professionals look at there patients and decide who are fit to live and who are not.

I think young trees are more of a loss than old knacker ones, but thats just me.

As for the "collective" business, how many of you guys who feel this "collective responsibility" offer your services free when working on trees in your local environment???

Speak for yourself, I'm in it for the money. (oh the shame!)

Well you can feel a morral collective responsibility of you want to but the only legal responsibility is under the TCPA. When a client contacts you and imparts confidential information you have a legal responsibility to them, if you do something that then confounds their otherwise legal wishes and desires you are open to recovery of any losses from them.

I always explain the options and make recommendations to allow the client to make an informed choice but ultimately it is his property and his choice.

Where I think the occasion demands and circumstances permitting, I have persuaded clients to allow me to prune trees to a sustainable levell just to see if the client can live with that rather than the removal they asked for, some like it some don't, if they don't I fell the tree for the same price as the felling, I am comfortable with that so you can call that my collective responsibility but my duty is first and foremost to the client not his tree.

There's a strong argument that we have a moral duty to protect the environment under the UN's Declaration of Human Duties and Responsibilities (Chapter 2: The right to life and human security)

Members of the global community have collective, as well as individual duties and responsibilities, to take appropriate action to protect the right to life of every member of the human family, and shall ensure the survival of present and future generations -unencumbered by war and violent conflict, gross and systematic human rights violations, extreme poverty, hunger, disease and environmental destruction.

Ok, a rogue felling of a tree probably isn't going to fall foul of this and it's slightly tangential to the argument, but the obligation we sometimes feel is actually enshrined in international law.

But the crux of the argument over the last few pages comes down to personal views and feelings, in which we differ. No problem with that. :thumbup1:

This is the thing, I'm not, never have been, I run a "tree services" company.

I'm not a doctor who has taken the "Hippocratic oath" to do no harm.

The thing that gets me is you "tree care" guys will happily decide which trees are fit to be killed and which you won't, I really don't think "health care" professionals look at there patients and decide who are fit to live and who are not.

I think young trees are more of a loss than old knacker ones, but thats just me.

As for the "collective" business, how many of you guys who feel this "collective responsibility" offer your services free when working on trees in your local environment???

I have done work for free!! and will continue to do my absolute best to do all my work in the best interest of the tree's primarily... I understand that this is a money based industry and we all wanna keep our houses, kids, dogs etc in good health (along with our bank balance lets face it:sneaky2:) IMO trees of all sizes need our attention on a global scale... I change industry to work with tree's because I enjoy them so much, i rec climb them because

I enjoy it and I'd work on them free of charge from time to time because I love the job so much and more importantly I love the look of a good tree on any landscape.

Vets do :001_tt2:

Vets do :001_tt2:

Agreed, as do medics in the states when they send a person to a further hospital knowing they have a smaller chance of survival just because they have no health insurance... fire fighters decide on risk before saving lives.. professionals decide on life and death all the time. I know to some tree work is just a job and I respect that as they should my love for trees.