Council slapping tpo on tree's

treeracer25

Err what?:confused1:

So someone who listens to the client and does as they request is a cowboy whereas someone who ignores the clients wishes, imposes their own opinions with intention to change those of the client and when that fails gets some biggers boys to force their views through!:001_huh:

I never understand why some think it their duty to 'talk the customer into' 'persuade the customer to' etc etc.

Why is our view more important than the customer? The customer knows whats best for them 99.9% of the time the other .1% they ask for our advice all we can do is give our professional opinion, not ram it down their throat.

100 Percent right:thumbup:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[/b]

100 Percent right:thumbup:

I think they are asking us for "advise" and our "opinion" if you honestly feel like they are making the wrong choice and there is a valid reason for this then the correct and honest response should be to say "I don't think you should fell the tree because....." if I was to ask a plumber to replace my boiler because it made a funny noise or I just felt it was about time to be replaced then I wouldn't expect them to go along with my choice and replace it, I would expect them to be honest and tell me that it doesn't need replacing it just needs a service.....

What I'm saying is some people simply do not know how old there tree is, or how rare it is, or how much others value it, or even that there are other options such as crown reduction!!

so what's wrong with passing on our opinion and then if it's not taken then carry on and do the job in the knowledge that you have done you're bit???

"I'd like you to fell this ancient oak; it has fungus growing on it and is likely to fall over"

"Don't worry, it's a beefsteak fungus and the tree is showing no signs of inherent weakness. Oak trees can co-exist with this fungus for many decades and it provides fantastic wildlife habitat as well being a thing of beauty. You're luck to have it in your back garden"

Two ways this can go:

"Don't care, I hate it. Fell it anyway"

"I'm really pleased you told me that, I love this tree. Hopefully it can outlive me"

No harm whatsoever in voicing an opinion. Apart from anything else, carrying out expensive work that's unnecessary and withholding relevant information from the customer is certainly immoral and potentially illegal.

"I'd like you to fell this ancient oak; it has fungus growing on it and is likely to fall over"

"Don't worry, it's a beefsteak fungus and the tree is showing no signs of inherent weakness. Oak trees can co-exist with this fungus for many decades and it provides fantastic wildlife habitat as well being a thing of beauty. You're luck to have it in your back garden"

Two ways this can go:

"Don't care, I hate it. Fell it anyway"

"I'm really pleased you told me that, I love this tree. Hopefully it can outlive me"

No harm whatsoever in voicing an opinion. Apart from anything else, carrying out expensive work that's unnecessary and withholding relevant information from the customer is certainly immoral and potentially illegal.

I think my plumber scenario was better :lol:

There's no point discussing this further, you read what you want to read and chuck your teddy out of the pram when you disagree. How about reading the written words before jumping in? I have constantly spoken of "working with" both clients and other parties involved. It's not just about you the contractor, or just the TO, or just the client. I do things my way, they work very well, my clients like the way I work. That's all that matters to me.

:lol:

Come on who is throwing their toys out here.:001_rolleyes:

I commented on how I dislike the idea of contractors saying the client is wrong and doing sneaky stuff and you quote me saying isnt this what pros do compared to cowboys!?

What else am I supposed to say!

I think your idea of working with the client is different to mine.Plus its all about the client to me.

Your plumber scenario is rubbish!!!:001_tt2:

We are not here talking about people remove a tree because they mistakenly think its dangerous, we're talking about people who have decided that they want the tree gone (for what ever reason) and contractors saying its OK to use information that have only be given because the client wants a price and then use that information to prevent the trees removal!!

I cannot believe that some of you cannot see how wrong that is!!!

Your adverts and websites should a state that you will put you opinion of any given tree above and beyond the clients wishes, and try to stop the felling of any tree you see fit.

Your plumber scenario is rubbish!!!:001_tt2:

We are not here talking about people remove a tree because they mistakenly think its dangerous, we're talking about people who have decided that they want the tree gone (for what ever reason) and contractors saying its OK to use information that have only be given because the client wants a price and then use that information to prevent the trees removal!!

I cannot believe that some of you cannot see how wrong that is!!!

Your adverts and websites should a state that you will put you opinion of any given tree above and beyond the clients wishes, and try to stop the felling of any tree you see fit.

But........ I really liked my plumber scenario! :thumbdown:

all i can say on this matter is trying to see it from the other side. if i had a tree in my back garden that was huge, overshadowing, dropping leaves, blocking my view and sunshine i would want it removed. if it didnt have a tpo on it, i would expect a contractor to quote for its removal and do the job. if they decided they liked the tree and tipped off the council who then slapped a tpo on it i would be furious, to put it lightly. surely its my right as a home/land owner to have a tree removed on my property if i dont want it there!! its not up to contractors to decide if a trees should stay in someone elses land.

just my view after a few pints.:001_smile:

There is a collective responsibility for trees in the urban landscape.

That is what TPOs are for.

To stop selfish people destroying our landscape because they decide they don't want a tree in their garden.

There is a strong argument that such people should not be the custodians of these trees by virtue of property ownership

Me too. I was just feeling wordy :laugh1:

In terms of running to the TO, I don't see this as an easy question to answer. Working with trees has been my career and vocation since 1995. It was an unpaid passion before that, from about 20 years earlier. I love trees. I am committed to habitat protection as well.

Truthfully, I would offer advice and if the tree owner was determined to fell a tree I firmly believed shouldn't be felled, I would walk away. I might even contact the TO if I thought an extremely valuable tree was about to be lost. My duty is to trees, that's how I see it.

Many professionals have a duty to pass on information gathered 'in confidence' if there is a public interest. If I feel that interest is genuinely served I would sleep easily with my actions if I had to go to a TO.

If others don't see it that way then fair enough, we all have our own motivations. I'm not trying to convert anyone, just expressing my view.