Lets see your Land Rovers

christreeroot

Everyone here is assuming that the vehicle itself is only plated to 3500kg. Some defenders (110s and 130s) were plated for anywhere up to 7t by the factory. This was for use in special applications where it was the pulling capability and the weight was not so much on the axles themselves. So in this case it would be more if the driver had the category up to 7500kg on his licence that would be my concern.

H

Gross train at 7000kg, if it was the landrover only grossed to 7000kg think it would look like a 4x4 bedford MK? Now that's a real tree bus, ex army you have to stand up to steer due to the lack of power steering!!

Edited by Buzzsurgeon
spelling

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if its just springs or axles as well.

Documents no problem, just send in the new weights on the log book.

Changes it to a van test though, no big deal, mines tested as a van anyway, but still 3050 kg.

Just got my cog wheels turning when i saw that rig of alex01! :scared1:

Probably impractical, but why not stick a tracked chipper on the back of the landy and tow a tipping trailer?

You'd probably be ok for weights. 1250 kg chipper on back and a couple of ramps,and tools, 2500 kg payload in the trailer.

When I first got my green landy we were faffing about at Alan's and stuck a 530T in the back just to see if it would fit!

It did but made it sit down a bit! Uprate the springs and you'd be legal?

Bedtime anyway, early start tomoz.

Cheers, Nige.

Don't know if its just springs or axles as well.

Documents no problem' date=' just send in the new weights on the log book.

Changes it to a van test though, no big deal, mines tested as a van anyway, but still 3050 kg.

Just got my cog wheels turning when i saw that rig of alex01! :scared1:

Probably impractical, but why not stick a tracked chipper on the back of the landy and tow a tipping trailer?

You'd probably be ok for weights. 1250 kg chipper on back and a couple of ramps,and tools, 2500 kg payload in the trailer.

When I first got my green landy we were faffing about at Alan's and stuck a 530T in the back just to see if it would fit!

It did but made it sit down a bit! Uprate the springs and you'd be legal?

Bedtime anyway, early start tomoz.

Cheers, Nige.[/quote']

would think you will have to have your bus inpected by the ministry before you can change gross weights to prove your mods are suitable and safe for their purpose!

When I bought mine it had the utility tool box back on it, it says on the side of the wing

UW 2580

GW 3500

I take it this is with the box on which is quite a heavy lump.

I,m hoping the train weight is about 19 tonne otherwise the traffic cops that witnessed me pulling an artic today will have my guts for garters :001_smile:

I will look under the bonnet tommoz

Rather you than me!

Ask yourself one question, is the braking ability of the vehicle impaired to the point where you cant stop safely in an emergency?

If the answer is yes, then you are risking not only your licence, but your life and your passengers lives, not to mention passing pedestrians.

I have done it, but not any more, I am taking steps to ensure I need never overload again.

the answer's no!

it brakes fine with a full load we only go very short distances < 10 miles with full loads, when we worked with browns forestry the guy there had a 130 with an uncovered chip box his was wobbling at 40 so he fitted uprated bushes and it sorted the problem!! it does need wider tyres tho! with a full load of chip it allways sinks!!

i see what you guys mean tho it is overloaded, we mainly use it for kit and some logs and use the lorry for chipping in! il have some photos in the next few weeks of our new lorry its a mercedes 814d 4x4 tgs coachworks tipper its huge!!

the answer's no!

it brakes fine with a full load we only go very short distances < 10 miles with full loads, when we worked with browns forestry the guy there had a 130 with an uncovered chip box his was wobbling at 40 so he fitted uprated bushes and it sorted the problem!! it does need wider tyres tho! with a full load of chip it allways sinks!!

i see what you guys mean tho it is overloaded, we mainly use it for kit and some logs and use the lorry for chipping in! il have some photos in the next few weeks of our new lorry its a mercedes 814d 4x4 tgs coachworks tipper its huge!!

Please, please mate, dont fall into the trap of "i know lots of people who overload". Overloading is illegal and most of all unsafe!:scared1:

Excuses like we dont go far, and its only 10 miles make no difference. There is NO grey area, overloading is overloading!

Bought the old girl in Belgium in 2001 when the Euro was worth 53 pence and saved about £6,000. Things are a bit different now I fear. It still has the same tyres after 57,000 miles and the only major expense has been a new ECU which toasted a couple of months ago.

597653d17a082_03February2009006.jpg.9f6f0455b35f3953de30709cd412adf0.jpg

• 4 weeks later...