Ex-Army or soon to be????

Rick2517

Hi Guys,

I have a small arb firm in Bristol, I started the company 5 years ago after ending my time in the Royal Engineers. I have found that by applying the skills, discipline, and motivation that has been imbedded into me by the army I have managed to build and expand my company at a rapid rate and plan to continue to do so for as long as it takes to achieve my goals, Which in short is this: I wish to have a multi branch UK wide set up of small-mediom sized arb teams dotted all over, mainly maned by guys and girls who have served there time in the forces, providing extremely high standards of work to clients and giving future careers to people who deserve it more then any other "in my opinion".

I am by no means at this stage but I am confident that I will eventually get there if I can find the right people to help me on my way.

what I am after is to talk to some people who share the same goals as me and understand why!!.

Please do not mistake this for a formal job offer as I am not in a possession to take on staff right at this moment in time but I am very keen to talk to folks that may have something to offer and maybe get the ball in motion in the very near future!!

If this interests you then have a look at my website see what we are all about, and get in contact.

Tree Arborist and Tree Surgeon Bristol: Commercial and Residential Tree Surgery, Stump Removal,Tree Removal,Hedge Trimming in Bristol, Bath and surrounding areas

Thanks guys :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Rich

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rich,

I'm Danny and I to share some / most of your idea being ex brit mil. i've had a look at your website and just one thing really is the background colour. I found it being my fav colour (stihl orange) but it takes your eye away from the imporant bits, the information in the centre. Have you tried it in black.

Apart from that the work carried out looks great and what you have currently is a great basic's of a company that could reach your final goal.

if you'd like to chat ill pm you my number and email mucka

All the best Danny

Hi Rich,

I remember working with you when you started out straight from the army (you subbed a bit for Danners at Redland Tree Services). Glad to hear your business is going well.

If you ever need surveys or reports undertaken around Bristol or the southwest please give me a shout.

Cheers,

Paul

Rich

The business model wont work, franchisees or affiliates would need to invest financially to prove they were serious because it'd be a huge risk on your behalf to buy people chippers and tip trucks, tools etc, they (the franchisees/affiliates) would have nothing to lose if the business failed, but you'd be left seriously out of pocket. Ultimately, once the potential franchisees had used their own money to buy a chipper, tip truck and tools etc they'd forget about supporting your venture and instead go out on their own.

Isn't there another way for you to help support ex military people that doesn't involve financial risk?

Thanks for the great comments guys and hi Paul I remember you to, please send me your number as I may have some bits and bobs for you!

As I said This is in the very early stages and by no means have I gave it seriouse thought and this is the first step I have made to share my ideal so feedback both negative and positive is very welcome indeed.

What I would say is this, most people can and will be tempted by the prospect to earn more money sooner or later and how I get around this and make it secure will come in time, however if you have served in the military and carried out operational tours you will understand that there is allot more to life then money and there are Serton things that are done out of pride and honor. Anybody who I choose to work with will understand these morels and there only tie to me will come down to there own morel understanding of what I am trying to achieve.

If I was to set up a team of blokes in an area that I do not know and finance/support it to then find the guy has seen his opportunity to go it alone and leave me in the dog house then the only person I will be disappointed with is myself for picking the wrong man for the job!!

Keep the advice coming guys and to Danny, The site is working progress and although orange has sort of became our brand colour I do understand where you're coming from and mite well have a play with it when I next meet with my web site tech.

Thanks again Rich

Rich, did you run this plan past Mr Olley?

Hi Paul,

I did my first bits of training with Richard Olly (this is the guy you mean right?) he has done very well for himself and is a great example of the sort of thing I am aiming to achieve, I do not wish to become anybodies worst enemy/competitor so discussions with people like him would I'm sure be very beneficial to both of us!!!

Good thinking Paul

Rich, like your website as it is, it's bright vibrant, eye-catching, that's good. :thumbup1:

I don't think the franchise is such a good idea, as previously stated, but hey, why not give it a shot? One query, you mention the morals of ex-military, how can you be sure that they will all share your ideals? Nice idea, but I'm sure the human element will be an issue, and what tied people in the military I can't see tieng them in civvy street. Like I said, I could be wrong. Perhaps more of an ex-mil recruitment for Arb could be a better idea, perhaps getting them trained and finding them placements with other companies? Given the state of the economy, all this is going to be a struggle.