Trust your instincts

slack ma girdle

Over the last couple of months the mighty nuffield of power has been increasingly difficult to start. Cleaned and checked the battery terminals and earths. Still wont start, jumped it off the landrover and it starts. At the end of the day took the battery home to get it tested, man in the garage said it was ok.

Back the following week and the tractor still won't start, so starter moter off and check the connections in the solinoid, all apears to be fine, so check the rest of the electics and clean. Tractor still wont start.

Starter moter off again and drop it to the auto electric shop. Week later they can find no fault. B----R

Replace positive and earth leads, still won't start

Yesterday take starter moter and battery to another auto electic shop, test battery ok, test starter ok.

Today spent 4 hours taking apart the electics again, tractor still won't start, it is hot, and the horseflies were bad, therefore i am in a fowl mood. :thumbdown:

By now i have run out of ideas. Luckily the farmer who owns the land where my timber store is turns up, and says have you tried the landrover battery in the tractor ? Er no as the battery is fine. So i did and the mighty nuffield of power roars into life. :thumbup:

So to day i have learnt two thing:

1 Jumps leads drain alot of the power of the battery, hence why i could not jump start it.

2 Check all the simple things first, dispite what you are told

Mate had exactly same with his old tractor. Problems went on for months, burning out jump leads, replacing wiring ripping out ignition switch so he could just short the wires, spanner across solenoid...all sorts. The he finally put a new battery in it!

Over the last couple of months the mighty nuffield of power has been increasingly difficult to start. Cleaned and checked the battery terminals and earths. Still wont start, jumped it off the landrover and it starts. At the end of the day took the battery home to get it tested, man in the garage said it was ok.

Back the following week and the tractor still won't start, so starter moter off and check the connections in the solinoid, all apears to be fine, so check the rest of the electics and clean. Tractor still wont start.

Starter moter off again and drop it to the auto electric shop. Week later they can find no fault. B----R

Replace positive and earth leads, still won't start

Yesterday take starter moter and battery to another auto electic shop, test battery ok, test starter ok.

Today spent 4 hours taking apart the electics again, tractor still won't start, it is hot, and the horseflies were bad, therefore i am in a fowl mood. :thumbdown:

By now i have run out of ideas. Luckily the farmer who owns the land where my timber store is turns up, and says have you tried the landrover battery in the tractor ? Er no as the battery is fine. So i did and the mighty nuffield of power roars into life. :thumbup:

So to day i have learnt two thing:

1 Jumps leads drain alot of the power of the battery, hence why i could not jump start it.

2 Check all the simple things first, dispite what you are told

There will be some loss through the cable but a knackered battery will also sapp power from the jump battery

There will be some loss through the cable but a knackered battery will also sapp power from the jump battery

I had by passed the battery, and had hooked the jump leads direct to the starter moter. The drain from the leads ment that there was not enough power to turn over the enginne.

Sent from my Galaxy arse using tupping talk.

It is a pity that batteries are not what they use to be!. The quality and the actual number of lead plates compared to a battery of say 10 or 20 years ago is long gone.

Glad that the Horse flyes and general frustration didn't get the better of you!

easy-lift guy

Edited by easy-lift guy
Missing word

I had by passed the battery, and had hooked the jump leads direct to the starter moter. The drain from the leads ment that there was not enough power to turn over the enginne.

Sent from my Galaxy arse using tupping talk.

Then of course there are jump leads and jump leads

It is a pity that batteries are not what they use to be!. The quality and the actual number of lead plates compared to a battery of say 10 or 20 years ago is long gone.

Glad that the Horse flyes and general frustration didn't get the better of you!

easy-lift guy

Agreed, especially in these days of how much how much. Buy quality and you do get a good battery, some of the new Bosch and Varta batteries are superb but expensive. When I was selling them I never had a single warranty issue.

A