Fuel Mix

derwen

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok on a roll here, checked a previous thread on the forum and see two things that maybe happening with 'normal' unleaded / oil mix: "fuel going stale" and "oil breaking down". But this Aspen stuff (if you can pick it up conveniently) is pretty expensive stuff, might be better for me to mix normal petrol and oil as I need it. At least the oil won't break down if I'm mixing just before use, and even if the fuel deteriorates it can't damage the 2 stroke engine, can it?[/QUOTE]

Stale fuel has lost some of its potency ( for want of a better word) so each drop does less work. As the same volume is combined with the air mix, the machine effectively runs lean.

A 'lean mixture' will cause the engine to run hot and 'lean siezure can occur.

Thanks for the simple explanation. It now starts to make sense. The guy at the Stihl dealer ship said it looked as if the engine had run short of oil or had it got hot as the rings were embedded. I couldn't see how it had run short of oil as I mix it using the Stihl bottle, so accurate measure and wasn't aware of it running hot, but as you say lean running lean causes it to run hot and we have in effect had a lean seizure. New machine and Aspen all round me thinks.

I am pleased that you guys are going to try Aspen, mainly to overcome your issues with stale petrol.

You are also going to benefit from another aspect of Aspen, which is that its exhaust emissions are much healthier than with normal petrol.

If working in confined areas, and when the exhaust is in your face, you will notice that it is much more pleasant, leaving you feeling better at the end of the day.

I am pleased that you guys are going to try Aspen, mainly to overcome your issues with stale petrol.

You are also going to benefit from another aspect of Aspen, which is that its exhaust emissions are much healthier than with normal petrol.

If working in confined areas, and when the exhaust is in your face, you will notice that it is much more pleasant, leaving you feeling better at the end of the day.

Yeah, hedge trimmers are a prime example where the exhaust is nearer your face and the exhaust hangs in the hedge and comes back at you.

Aspen also doesn't fill the workshop up with smoke when you first fire up a saw after fixing it:thumbup::lol:

This thread is quite informative but leaves me wondering what to do for the best? Ive read earlier that if you have saws that you may not use for a while, you would be better draining the fuel out of them so the petrol doesnt degrade the rubbers in the carb. ( which is what ive started doing) but now your saying that if theres no petrol in the carb for a while, the rubbers may shrink and sp,lit/crack?

What are you best doing if you are not using your equipment for a while?:confused1:

Oh I get it............... use Aspen :001_rolleyes:

This thread is quite informative but leaves me wondering what to do for the best? Ive read earlier that if you have saws that you may not use for a while, you would be better draining the fuel out of them so the petrol doesnt degrade the rubbers in the carb. ( which is what ive started doing) but now your saying that if theres no petrol in the carb for a while, the rubbers may shrink and sp,lit/crack?

What are you best doing if you are not using your equipment for a while?:confused1:

Oh I get it............... use Aspen :001_rolleyes:

In my opinion carbs are best stored 'wet', but only if the the fuel is fresh. This is difficult to achieve in machines which are only used occasionally. Fresh petrol does effect the rubber etc, but nowhere near as fast as stale petrol.

A fuel additive such as the oregon one mentioned by Mark Skyland earlier, or the Briggs 'fuel fit' are anti-oxidants and will extend the life of petrol for a while, and offer a relatively cheap solution.

Aspen is of course the ultimate solution to stale petrol, with the other benefits mentioned.

Older kit may suffer more from the effects of the ethanol in modern petrol, as the materials used in newer saws have been changed to minimise the effects. For instance , carb kits now often contain a pump membrane made of woven glassbibre which was developed to resist ethanol attack.

The ethanol attack happens faster with new petrol than stale.

Its up to each user to decide on the action that suits him best.

On a little different tact how long will the oil additive last in storage as i have just found 5ltr of stihl oil in a can at the back of the shed that i think is about 7year old.

will this still be ok to use in my saws?

I am not aware that unmixed 2 stroke oil (or any other oil) degrades over time, so I think you will be safe to use it. Others may disagree.

This may sound obvious but I'll ask it anyway. We have just bought some unleaded petrol about 4 weeks ago and have it mixed with 2 stroke oil. As we have about 2.5 litres left rather than throw it away ( not sure how) would it be OK to top up with Aspen and run the machines on an unleaded 2 stroke mix with Aspen in it. I assume its OK to use Aspen in any 2 stroke engine (not motor bikes as far too expensive !!). Thanks.