Best personal first aid kit recommendations please?

^TANK^

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Combat application tourniquet (CAT). If you sever an artery you can be dead in minutes without one. A brilliant piece of kit, and you can apply them to your self using just one hand.

CAT:The Combat Application Tourniquet

I agree - a CAT is all you really need. Apply it at major arterial bleeds to buy yourself time to get to the ground and call for assistance.

Just remember never to apply the CAT below the elbow or knee, since it will not be able to stop bleeding due to the skeletal structure.

In my vehicle, I also have some eye wash and bandages for treating minor injuries.

I agree - a CAT is all you really need. Apply it at major arterial bleeds to buy yourself time to get to the ground and call for assistance.

Just remember never to apply the CAT below the elbow or knee, since it will not be able to stop bleeding due to the skeletal structure.

In my vehicle, I also have some eye wash and bandages for treating minor injuries.

1) Not quite sure how you could have a CAT in a personal kit attached to your harness in the first instance. So possibly not really a practical suggestion for a climbers personal kit.

2) But, if you can't apply it below the knee or elbow, then presumably its no good if you accidently slice through your forearm; wrist; hand; calf; ankle; foot areas with your 200!

3) Also you probably could'nt apply the CAT to your neck either, if you should get hit in the face/throat through kickback. Thinking strangulation here! :001_rolleyes:

I've "nicked" the side of my wrist with a 200 in the past. A bit of of spit and a hanky was all I needed to finish the job. Stuck a plaster on it when I got out of the tree, which saw me right until the end of the day. Then I went to the local hospital on the way home, 4 stitches later walked out of the hospital into the bar opposite for burger & chips and a couple of pints, which was the best medicine of all. :thumbup:

One thing, regardless of what you put in your Personal Kit, is what you put it in and where. its no good having the best kit (or the worst) and you cant get at it when you need it most. Dont forget, its personal, chances are youll need it for yourself in the first stages. So if its in a wrapper, could you unpack it with one hand, visualise this. Ok so you say you could bite it open, but the saws kicked back square in the mouth, aint gonna happen. So consider where you carry and how youre going to access it worse case scenario. I think this is as important as what your kit contains.

Can't help thinking about that line

Horrible scenario

1) Not quite sure how you could have a CAT in a personal kit attached to your harness in the first instance. So possibly not really a practical suggestion for a climbers personal kit.

2) But, if you can't apply it below the knee or elbow, then presumably its no good if you accidently slice through your forearm; wrist; hand; calf; ankle; foot areas with your 200!

3) Also you probably could'nt apply the CAT to your neck either, if you should get hit in the face/throat through kickback. Thinking strangulation here! :001_rolleyes:

I've "nicked" the side of my wrist with a 200 in the past. A bit of of spit and a hanky was all I needed to finish the job. Stuck a plaster on it when I got out of the tree, which saw me right until the end of the day. Then I went to the local hospital on the way home, 4 stitches later walked out of the hospital into the bar opposite for burger & chips and a couple of pints, which was the best medicine of all. :thumbup:

To answer you:

1) I have the CAT in a pocket on the right side of my trousers, so I can get to it, and apply it with my right hand. It's not attached to my harness, but part of my personal first aid kit, and quite practical, I'd say.

2) You appy it ABOVE the knee/elbow to stop arterial bleeding. And it is the ONLY way of doing do.

3) If you get arterial bleeding from your neck, (no arteries on your head!) I'd say there is nothing you can do except try to spend the remaining five-ten seconds of your conscious life getting to the ground and hoping for a miracle.

If you make a deep cut that severs an arterie while climbing, the only thing sensible to apply a CAT to buy you time to get to the ground alive, and call emergency services.

You should also have a knife to allow you to cut yourself free.

Other injuries are not immediately life threatening, and you'll have time to get to the ground in an orderly manner and get treatment.

But I would be interested in hearing how better to perform emergency treatment of an arterial bleeding whilst hanging in a rope 50 ft off the ground. Cry for help, and hope that qualified assistance will magically appear before you die?

To answer you:

1) I have the CAT in a pocket on the right side of my trousers, so I can get to it, and apply it with my right hand. It's not attached to my harness, but part of my personal first aid kit, and quite practical, I'd say.

2) You appy it ABOVE the knee/elbow to stop arterial bleeding. And it is the ONLY way of doing do.

3) If you get arterial bleeding from your neck, (no arteries on your head!) I'd say there is nothing you can do except try to spend the remaining five-ten seconds of your conscious life getting to the ground and hoping for a miracle.

If you make a deep cut that severs an arterie while climbing, the only thing sensible to apply a CAT to buy you time to get to the ground alive, and call emergency services.

You should also have a knife to allow you to cut yourself free.

Other injuries are not immediately life threatening, and you'll have time to get to the ground in an orderly manner and get treatment.

But I would be interested in hearing how better to perform emergency treatment of an arterial bleeding whilst hanging in a rope 50 ft off the ground. Cry for help, and hope that qualified assistance will magically appear before you die?

Harsh but fair. :001_smile:

Ok a question for perusal. If a CAT is such an important life saving tool, and true 1st Aid (over and above an Elastoplast!) why is this not trained in every course. I've been in the workplace some 30years now, been on numerous cousres run by all the major bodies, and never have we been taught this technique. I'm not doubting the efficiency of it, but have only ever been taught to apply pressure with the hand. Obviously all those with a military background are taught this technique, should we be?