dont all laugh at once

the hedge man

defintely agree with giving up the white bread, and sugar too. Best to eat all natural. A good rule of thumb is, if it walks, flies, swims, or grows you can eat it.

Gave up all bread and sugar except for a cheat day on Sunday when I have a couple of slices of vogels toast for breakfast. Been following the principles of paleo though not strictly. I still like a glass of wine or two at night but spuds are gone too. I'm down four belt holes though no idea how much weight. Like one of your previous posts alluded too Steve; better in, better out. Noticed a major and much improved difference in this area. I still eat fruit but not heaps, cook in mainly natural fats and olive oil, eat plenty of meat and find myself less hungry so less likely to snack. The odd bit of sugar sneaks in when I have mustard or mint sauce but otherwise it's long gone. Sugar added to Bacon? Really? I find myself checking labels on everything and making more of my own stuff so I know what's in it. I feel heaps better too.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an article in Farmer's Weekly a few years ago about a Scottish farmer who was just buying another fleet of Massey tractors for his farm at the age of 106!

Did he think he would outlive the tractors? "Of course I will!"

To what did he ascribe his longevity?

"I was brought up on Orkney and dad had a small beef herd where the animals never did very well until they had a veterinary student from London for a season.

He prescribed mineral supplements and the cattle romped away. I was so impressed I added the supplement to my porridge every day and have continued to do so.

The other thing was that my brother died at 58 years. He lived in the West Indies and always had a big meal late at night and went to bed on a full stomach, so my other rule is I never eat after four o'clock."

In my own case 60 years old, 5' 11" I weighed 110 kilos for a long time, playing league hockey at centre half, I was overweight but not paunchy. I was fit ish and the farm work kept me muscle toned, so I was like a lot of you guys. Ok but could do a lot better.

Packed up the hockey and the slowing down generally, no rampant love affairs to shed the pounds! More stable love life meant more fat and lazy.

Do not believe in rigid diets, quantity wise as they lead to a feeling of denial, just go for quality. Same with figures, average weight for six foot man etc and BMI index.

Mike Tyson was 5'11" and 109 kg when he was in the ring which gives a BMI index of 33.52 according to the BUPA site which is listed as "Obese"

Now who is going to go up to Tyson and call him obese!

Took job in hand in 2010 and cut out bread and beer. Really because they bloated me with the yeast I believe but the lack of salt and sugar helps.

Replaced pint of beer with whisky and water

Breakfast non added sugar cereal. Shredded Wheat.

Do examine cereal packets carefully as some may be low fat but stuffed with sugar.

In fact look at anything with low fat, yoghurt, drinks, smoothies and see how much sugar they put in. Sugar is the big enemy.

Lunch main meal Only eat fish now plus fresh veg no potatoes. Peas, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots etc.

Wait after lunch for half an hour to be rid of the sugar craving which starts as the digestive system fires up. Have fresh fruit on standby.

Just eat apples, oranges, occasional banana and nuts later on as required.

One good diet is to "Eat Live" meaning non processed . There are a lot of foods that come into this area.

This is taken from a website

"Live foods are foods that are consumed fresh, raw and/or in a condition as close as possible to their original, vibrant, living state. Consider the difference between crisp red apples and beige, jarred applesauce; between green, ripe avocados and grayish, reconstituted guacamole dip; between a piece of salmon sashimi and a frozen fish stick; between sweet corn on the cob and a box of cornflakes. You get the picture.

Depending on which expert you are consulting (and how much of a purist he or she is), the term “live food” may refer strictly to raw fruits and vegetables and sprouted nuts and grains. Or, it might also include whole, unpasteurized, organic milk products (illegal in most states!), frozen berries, and even very lightly “cooked” items like seared fish and air-dried pizzas.

The basic idea behind all live foods is the same though: retaining the very best that natural foods have to offer, including live enzymes, antioxidants and other nutrients."

Result

By the beginning of 2012 I was down to 89 kilos, which was comfortable but not my fighting weight which should be nearer 85 kilos.

I now drift between 89 and 92 kilos but seem to have stabilised.

Combined with the farm and tree work I do a morning bike ride every day and stretch exercises plus a doubles tennis game once a week.

In my view the exercises do very little for the weight but a lot for metabolism and keeping the heart and system in good order, flushing out bad things.

I used to contract a lot of head colds but they are very rare now.

Buy a decent pair of scales and only weigh yourself first thing in the morning.

I lose four pounds overnight, just water.

The other terrible habit we all have is the "Eat by association"

You have been out in the woods all morning and you come into the lovely warm kitchen where the wood stove is simmering. Your wife says "Cup of coffee dear?" The paper is there or the computer and there is a packet of chocolate biscuits, and do you just have one???

The point being you were not actually hungry and if you were called away on a job and missed the coffee break you would not have felt hungry.

Try to identify these "Food by association" events at the pub, in the car, in front of the computer. This also applies to giving up beer and cigarettes. You are only one away from all these things.

Bit of a tome here I'm afraid, but these ideas have helped me, it is a great thread and I hope it helps some of you.

now then! who on here wants to keep an arbtalk slimming diary?!

Thing is ive gradually put on the weight over the last few years despite having an active job, I think it must be too much stella!

Maybe you have already seen this ... think I posted it last year after losing 60 pounds.

30 x 2 lb. blocks of cheese, equal to what I lost between June and December in 2012.

My "diary" on the subject, if any, is all put into that one photo.

redwood_weight_loss_600_B.jpg.d7ea3989f1d6239313610ab963469be3.jpg

Maybe you have already seen this ... think I posted it last year after losing 60 pounds.

30 x 2 lb. blocks of cheese, equal to what I lost between June and December in 2012.

What was your diet and have you managed to maintain it?

What was your diet and have you managed to maintain it?

Maintaining.

Took my calorie intake from maybe 3500 a day, to around 1800 per day. And I identified foods I was eating that were a lot higher calories than I realized, and reduced the portions of those a lot. If I liked them, I did not totally eliminate them. Peanut butter is one example. Went from like 8 tablespoons a day to 1 tablespoon.

I also found that cut tomato and cucumber was something I enjoyed daily, and could make a big bowl of for a filling snack. And popcorn in the evening was a fairly low calorie snack that lasted quite a while provided I went light on the oil popping.

Ate lunch out at Panda Express once a day. Whereas 2 entree Orange Chicken and fried rice side is like 1100 calories ... I could do 2 other entrees and steamed vegetable side and bring lunch under 500 calories. Cut it under 1/2 ..

That's a pretty mean effort Mario. I've been taking tips and hints from the Paleo thread. I've dropped around 14-16 kilos since Christmas. Finally cracked the 80 kilo mark for the first time since I can't remember. It's nice finding pants/trousers that haven't fitted for 14 years now are too loose.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App