larch as firewood

firewoodman

at the mo i pay £800 +vat a trailer load witch is 26-27 tonne dry i have found some one that will do the same for 650 +vat a trailer load but not had any off them yet to see what its like.

Is that in tree lenths still or odds & ends?

What sized rounds & lengths?

I guess thats plus del?

Where from?

I am looking for a large load of wood in the round (pref logs about 2' plus round) suitable for milling up to build a cabin in a remote wood I own. Any suggestions on where to source the wood as I dont want to cut the trees in my own wood.

Cheers

Justme

• 5 years later...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I will soon have around 250 tonne of larch, which I am buying with a standing price, very straight and if we could plank it, does anyone know if we did this how long we should air dry it for before selling it, what the ideal, 1 year or 2 years?

I read above ship builders pay well for it, does anyone know what are the idea lengths, thickness and sizes?

Also does anyone know what it could be sold for if it were in the round, seasoned for 1 year before I would have it delivered. I'm thinking of contacting local sawmills near me, but would be great to have some opinions and ideas of what prices I could sell it to saw mills, I would love to know! I know it is commonly used for construction, but I'm trying to work out if its better to turn into firewood for my business, or sell it in the round to the sawmills.

Average diameter is 50cm -100cm diameter, about 60 trees, around 80-90 feet high.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all, I will soon have around 250 tonne of larch, which I am buying with a standing price, very straight and if we could plank it, does anyone know if we did this how long we should air dry it for before selling it, what the ideal, 1 year or 2 years?

I read above ship builders pay well for it, does anyone know what are the idea lengths, thickness and sizes?

Also does anyone know what it could be sold for if it were in the round, seasoned for 1 year before I would have it delivered. I'm thinking of contacting local sawmills near me, but would be great to have some opinions and ideas of what prices I could sell it to saw mills, I would love to know! I know it is commonly used for construction, but I'm trying to work out if its better to turn into firewood for my business, or sell it in the round to the sawmills.

Average diameter is 50cm -100cm diameter, about 60 trees, around 80-90 feet high.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, is that right average over 4 ton a tree?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know why you would want to let it season if selling it in the round? that's the total opposite of what any contractor or woodland owner would want to do. Sell it when its fresh and got more weight in it and get more money.

Its used for fencing and construction markets. The bigger the diameter the more limited the market but all depends on the mills near to you

Thanks in advance!

Larch is going to the mill at £42/tonne, or £42/ cu metre on a very good day in south wales. With PR, and the millions of trees the FC have cut- there is a glut.

Always be worth more for firewood IMO- should be able to get double that for seasoned logs.

Sent by smoke signal from my teepee.

Larch is going to the mill at £42/tonne, or £42/ cu metre on a very good day in south wales. With PR, and the millions of trees the FC have cut- there is a glut.

Always be worth more for firewood IMO- should be able to get double that for seasoned logs.

Sent by smoke signal from my teepee.

Yeah I heard that wales was getting £40/m for chip. Lucky to get over £25 here. Rip of westcountry :001_rolleyes: No wonder DF from honiton is going to wales!

Yeah I heard that wales was getting £40/m for chip. Lucky to get over £25 here. Rip of westcountry :001_rolleyes: No wonder DF from honiton is going to wales!

The last time I spoken with one of the big harvesters he was saying the softwood firewood is going for £45 a tonne in sunny South Wales :thumbdown::thumbdown:

I don't know why you would want to let it season if selling it in the round? that's the total opposite of what any contractor or woodland owner would want to do. Sell it when its fresh and got more weight in it and get more money.

Its used for fencing and construction markets. The bigger the diameter the more limited the market but all depends on the mills near to you

Good advice, thanks. I was thinking of maximising the load to the mills to save transport costs. You say that larger diameters can be a limiting factor, so I will bare that in mind when I speak to them. I will ask what diameters they are looking for. Am I thinking of the right route, saw mills or direct to a fencing manufacturer perhaps?

Thanks again!